Virat Kohli showed great determination to take his team closer to South Africa’s total as wickets tumbled from the opposite end. India ended 28 runs short as Virat Kohli was the last man to get out on 153, shattering many records.
In reply, Indian bowlers started on a great note as Jasprit Bumrah reduced the host to 3 for 2. However, AB De Villiers took the attack to the Indian seamers playing some delightful shots.
Brief Scores: South Africa 335 & 90/2 lead by 118 runs with 8 wickets in hand.
India 307 ( Kohli 153) Morne Morkel 4/60
Here are the statistical highlights from day three of the second Test:
1) Virat Kohli becomes the second Indian captain to score a Test century in South Africa. Sachin Tendulkar did it in 1996-97 when he scored 169 runs at Cape Town.
2) Kohli’s 153 run-innings was the fourth highest Test score by an India batsmen when no other batter scored a fifty in the innings.
Virender Sehwag leads the chart with 195 runs against Australia at MCG followed by Vinoo Mankad’s 184 against England at Lords. VVS Laxman occupies the third spot with 167 runs against Australia at SCG.
3) Kohli has played four-Test series in Australia and South Africa and in each of those series he was the first to score a century among Indian batsmen.
He scored 116 at Adelaide during 2011-12 tour to Australia, followed by 119 against South Africa during 2013-14. He then followed it up against Australia in 2014-15 scoring 115 & 141 at Adelaide. Today he did it again against South Africa scoring 153 at Centurion.
4) Virat Kohli has the most number of Test centuries among Indian captains scored outside Asia along with Mohammad Azharuddin.
Kohli and Azharuddin lead the chart with 5 centuries, followed Sourav Ganguly with two while Sachin Tendulkar has only one besides his name. Rahul Dravid, SAK Pataudi, Kapil Dev, and Sunil Gavaskar has only centuries behind their name as Indian captains.
5) Virat Kohli also tops the list with most number of 150+ plus scores as Test captain along with Sir Don Bradman. Both have eight 150+ scores beside their name.
6) With this 153 runs, Virat Kohli has 150+ scores against all the teams he has played.
India’s Sachin Tendulkar and Aussie stalwart Steve Waugh are other batsmen to achieve this feat.
7) Virat Kohli also has the most Test hundred away from home with 11 centuries. He leaves behind Australian captain Steve Smith who 10 centuries besides his name away from home.
8) This is the first time in history that two different spin bowlers have bowled first over of the innings in the same Test in South Africa. South Africa’s Keshav Maharaj and India’s Ravichandran Ashwin bowled the respective first overs.
Here is the newsfeed: