BCCI Chief Sourav Ganguly
BCCI Chief Sourav Ganguly (Image Credit: Twitter)

The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) president Sourav Ganguly has confirmed that the 5-match Test series between Virat Kohli-led India and Joe Root-led England is now finished.

The original 5-match series between England and India was ended only after the completion of 4 matches as the 5th and final Test match between India and England which was scheduled to begin on September 10 at Old Trafford, Manchester was canceled after the Covid-19 fear across the Indian camp.

Notably, ahead of the 5th Test match junior physio Yogesh Parmer tested positive for Covid-19 in Manchester and many Indian players were in close contact with him. However, later the reports of Indian players were found negative.

Ravi Shastri
India head coach Ravi Shastri.(Photo: BCCI)

Meanwhile, previously Head coach Ravi Shastri, bowling coach Bharat Arun and fielding coach Ramakrishnan Sridhar, were found positive for Covid-19 and they did not travel with the team to London for the 5th and final Test.

“Whenever it’s held next year, it should be a one-off match”: Sourav Ganguly On England vs India Test match

Sourav Ganguly
Sourav Ganguly (Image Credit: Twitter)

During an interaction with The Telegraph, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) president Sourav Ganguly was asked about the exact status of the England-India Manchester Test.

To which he replied that the Old Trafford Test between the teams has been canceled. Also, Sourav Ganguly admitted that the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) have suffered a big loss after the cancellation of the marquee Test match. Sourav Ganguly stated:

 “The Old Trafford Test has been canceled. They have incurred a lot of losses and it’s not going to be easy on England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB).”

Sourav Ganguly
Sourav Ganguly (Image Credit: Twitter)

Further, the former Indian captain said after things get normal they will figure out when the Test match between England and India takes place. However, Sourav Ganguly clearly told that whenever the match takes place it will be a one-off encounter as the continuation of the series is not possible.

Let things settle down a bit, then we can discuss and decide. Whenever it’s held next year, it should be a one-off match since it cannot be a continuation of the series anymore.”

Meanwhile, after getting tested negative most of the Indian players have left England and joined their IPL franchises in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) for the second phase of IPL 2021.

Also Read: Rohit Sharma To Lead Team India In ODIs And T20Is After T20 World Cup 2021- Reports