Brydon Carse handed with 3-month ban from Cricket due to betting charges

Published - 01 Jun 2024, 11:23 AM | Updated - 01 Jun 2024, 11:27 AM

Brydon Carse
Brydon Carse (Credits: Getty)

The English Cricket Board (ECB) has suspended their right-arm fast bowler Brydon Carse on the charges of placing bets in cricket matches for 2 years. 

Brydon Carse might as well be the first player to place bets during cricket matches whose wrongdoings were caught by the English board. But in an overall manner, especially in Football, betting is becoming very prevalent. In the game of Cricket, we have previously heard and seen instances of players getting banned on spot-fixing charges, something that truly hurts the integrity of the game. 

As far as betting is concerned, most of it goes under the radar but after the Brydon Carse case, the anti-corruption units will become more vigilant than ever. It was not disclosed as to which were the matches that he betted on but it was confirmed that Carse didn't place any bets on the games he was playing himself. 

An independent body confirms Carse placed 303 bets from 2017-2019 

The ECB as well as an independent Cricket regulatory body based in England released separate statements on the betting charges of Brydon Carse. It was the independent body that confirmed that Carse was banned for a period of 3-months because he had placed not one or two but 303 bets on various cricket games. 

The body also confirmed the time frame in which Brydon Carse placed these bets. They confirmed that the seamer did so in 2 years from 2017 to 2019 and the only thing that went in his favor was Carse not betting on the games he played.  

"Carse was charged with placing 303 bets on various cricket matches between 2017 and 2019. Carse did not place bets on games in which he was participating." - the Independent body said. 

Born in South Africa, Brydon Carse made his senior England debut during a home ODI series against Pakistan. Carse played his debut match against Pakistan on July 8 and has gone on to represent the Three Lions 13 more times in 50-over cricket, picking up 15 wickets on the way. 

On August 30, 2023, Brydon Carse made his senior T20I debut during another home series against New Zealand before the Cricket World Cup in India. From only his 3 T20I appearances, Carse has picked just 4 wickets at an impressive economy rate of 8.25. The 28-year-old certainly has a lot of potential but he is yet to receive his maiden Central contract.

What did the ECB say in this regard? 

The English Cricket Board also released a statement on their behalf, confirming that Carse will be suspended from May 28th to August 28th, 2024. On the assurance of the player not committing a similar mistake again, the pacer will not face any other sanction or penalties from the ECB who also said that this case will be a great educational example for youngsters. 

"Carse will be suspended from playing in any cricket between 28 May 2024 and 28 August 2024. Provided Carse does not commit any further offences contrary to the anti-corruption rules over the next two years he will not face any further penalties. "We are hopeful that his case can serve as an educational example for other cricketers." - ECB said in a statement.  

Tagged:

England National Cricket Team Brydon Carse