England and New Zealand square off for the Test series decider in Edgbaston from June 10-14. The first Test ended in a draw after four goods days of Test cricket and day 3 being interrupted by rain. They face off again with the second and the final Test being a series decider.
England lost their previous Test series against India, while New Zealand are unbeaten in their last six Test matches and they drew their seventh. New Zealand will take these two games as preparations for the upcoming WTC final. Meanwhile, this is a stats preview article ahead of the start of the first Test between the two sides.
The Kiwi side is struggling with injury concerns with Kane Williamson and Mitchell Santner likely to miss the second Test. While Kan has an elbow niggle, Santner had suffered a cut to his spinning finger during the intra-squad match, in the approach to the tour, and then aggravated his injury by playing the first Test at Lord’s.
England vs New Zealand 2021, 2nd Test: Stats Preview
England vs New Zealand Last Five Tests
In the last five Tests between the two sides, the Kiwis have won twice while three matches have ended in a draw.
Overall Tests: 106
England Won– 48
England’s recent Form– LLWWD
New Zealand’s recent Form– WWWWD
Average 1st Inns scores 307
Average 2nd Inns scores 319
Average 3rd Inns scores 247
Average 4th Inns scores 156
Key Stats Ahead Of Second Test
1) New Zealand have lost all of their four-Test matches at this venue while England have won 28, lost 9, and drawn 15 out of the total 52 played.
2) James Anderson (616) needs four more wickets to get past Anil Kumble’s tally of 619 Test wickets.
3) Trent Boult needs two more wickets to get to 50 Test wickets against England.
4) This will be James Anderson’s 162nd Test match going past Sir Alaistair Cook’s tally of 161.
5) Joe Root needs 23 runs to score 1000 Test runs against New Zealand.
6) Tom Latham needs 12 runs to get to 4000 Test runs.
7) New Zealand have lost nine out of their last 13 Test matches away from home.