England Ready To Risk Jason Roy For India Clash
With their World Cup hopes hanging in balance, hosts England are looking set to risk their opener Jason Roy for the crunch clash against India. England are confident that their star man would be fit for the clash, scheduled to take place on June 30 at Edgbaston. Roy is out of action since suffering the hamstring injury while field against West Indies.
Since then, he has missed the games against Afghanistan, Sri Lanka and Australia. His absence has cost England big as they have lost their last games. In both the losses, England’s top-order failed to deliver. James Vince, Roy’s replacement in the eleven, did even worse, scoring 26, 14 and 0 in the last two games. And with the upcoming game against India nothing less than a do-or-die contest, England are desperate to see Roy returning to action.
According to reports, Roy tested his left hamstring at Lord’s by running and batting under the watch of medical staff. The right-handed batsman will undergo intensive treatment over the next few days to make him available for selection. England will wait till the last moment to have Roy in the team. A final call on Roy would be taken on the morning of the match.
Roy is unlikely to be fully fit for the clash against India but England are desperate to have him back at the top of the order. Roy is in stunning form at the moment. In the ongoing World Cup, he has already scored a fifty and a century in three innings.
Meanwhile, Joe Root has urged for calmness for his teammates in the pressure situation. With the hosts expected to face a hostile Indian crowd at Edgbaston, Root said he and his teammates need to be clear and precise.
“We have to be very calm about how we approach the next couple of games,” said Joe Root. “The games themselves might get quite emotional, especially the atmosphere at Edgbaston, so we have to be very clear and precise about the threats the oppositions pose and when we are at our best what that looks like, both individually and collectively.”