It Was A Timely Tweet: MSK Prasad On Ambati Rayudu’s 3-d Tweet
It seems like the 3-d tweet from Ambati Rayudu is still fresh in the mind of chief selector MSK Prasad as the latter made it crystal clear that the batsman did not help his cause with the tweet. Rayudu was looking set to make it to the World Cup after being recalled to the ODI team during last year’s Asia Cup. He had hit the ground running.
His successful stint in the Asia Cup awarded him another chance in the West Indies series. Rayudu scored 217 runs in 4 innings in the series which included a 100 and 73*. The best of Rayudu was yet to come. He played a match-winning inning of 90 on a tricky pitch of Wellington in the New Zealand series that followed. His matured innings got praised by skipper Virat Kohli who hinted that the headache for number four is finally over.
However, three poor innings at home against Australia cost him a place in the World Cup. The MSK Prasad-led selection panel had instead picked up an inexperienced Vijay Shankar in the squad. Explaining the selection, MSK Prasad had cited Shankar’s “three-dimensional qualities”.
Rayudu had then taken a dig at Prasad’s explanation by tweeting that he plans to buy 3D glasses to watch the World Cup.
Just Ordered a new set of 3d glasses to watch the world cup 😉😋..
— Ambati Rayudu (@RayuduAmbati) April 16, 2019
Ever since then, the term ‘three-dimensional’ has become a famous one. And MSK Prasad still has vivid memory of that tweet. On Sunday, the former India wicketkeeper announced the squads for India’s full-fledged tour of West Indies. And while he was interacting with the media, he was asked about that tweet from Rayudu.
Well, Prasad’s reply made it crystal clear that Rayudu harmed his cause with the tweet. Prasad said that it was a timely tweet which perhaps made the selectors not consider Rayudu when they had to replace injured Shikhar Dhawan and Vijay Shankar during the World Cup.
“Ambati Rayudu’s tweet was lovely. I enjoyed it. It was timely tweet,” said MSK Prasad.
Rayudu, meanwhile, announced his retirement from international cricket after the World Cup snub.