NZ vs SA: Lungi Ngidi Ruled Out Of Second Test Against New Zealand
Published - 24 Feb 2022, 01:25 PM | Updated - 23 Aug 2024, 01:05 AM

South Africa pace bowler Lungi Ngidi has been ruled out of the second Test against New Zealand after suffering a back strain.
Ngidi, who has picked 47 Test wickets from 13 Tests, was benched in the first Test, which Proteas lost by an innings and 276 runs.

Lungi Ngidi hasn’t been training with us: Dean Elgar
South Africa Test skipper Dean Elgar confirmed the news and mentioned that the bowler hasn’t bowled in full strength in net sessions.
“Because he hasn’t been able to bowl last week, I don’t think his bowling loads are up to the standard of preparing for Test matches,” Elgar told reporters.

“He hasn’t been training with us, he’s only been bowling off a short run-up, which has been a bit of a setback for us. We know Lungi’s been a key figure within our bowling line-up. So it’s a bit disappointing that he’s in the situation that he’s in now,” he added.
There are guys who are a little bit low in confidence: Dean Elgar
New Zealand wrapped the first Test against the Proteas in just three days as Matt Henry wreaked havoc with his staggering bowling figures of 7/23 in the first innings as the visitors skittled out at 95.
New Zealand took a monstrous lead of 387 runs which made it clear that South Africa had no chance of pulling the game back.
South Africa’s second innings folded up on 111 as Tim Southee (5/35) bagged his 14th five-wicket haul in his red-ball career on the international stage.
Elgar said their team batters has lost confidence after the heavy defeat in the first Test.
“I’m sure there are guys who are a little bit low in confidence, especially from a batting point of view,” he said.
South Africa play the second Test against New Zealand on February 25 at the Hagley Oval in Christchurch.