Quinton de Kock Keen To Safeguard Future Cricket Tours To South Africa

Quinton de Kock Keen To Safeguard Future Cricket Tours To South Africa

Quinton de Kock
Quinton de Kock (Credits: Twitter)

Days after their ODI series against England was called off due to positive COVID-19 cases, South Africa captain Quinton de Kock has said he and his teammates felt a responsibility to ensure future series in the country can take place by strictly adhering to COVID-19 protocols. The Proteas are currently gearing up for the home Test series against Sri Lanka, scheduled to start on December 26.

Both the teams have started their preparation for the series. It will be the first Test series for both the teams since the pandemic halted action around the world in March this year. In fact, the upcoming series will be Sri Lanka’s first in the pandemic while South Africa recently returned to action with the T20I series against England last month.

Sri Lanka
Sri Lanka (Credits: Twitter)

And ahead of the Test series, Quinton de Kock has made it clear that the Proteas star are taking all the precautions to ensure that the series goes ahead without any trouble. He said the South African team were remaining in quarantine in a ‘bio-bubble’ facility outside Pretoria ahead of a two-match Test series against Sri Lanka that starts in nearby Centurion on Saturday.

The players were adhering to a strict regime of room service meals, social distancing and training in small groups pending a Covid test on Tuesday. Both teams are staying in the same country club facility but De Kock said there was no direct contact. The teams will stay at the same venue for the Tests in Centurion and Johannesburg, with both Test grounds within easy driving distance.

“We can see them but we have our own boundaries and we can’t mingle,” Quinton de Kock said.

Although Sri Lanka arrived in South Africa last weekend for the Test matches, doubts have been expressed about Australia fulfilling a planned Test series in South Africa early next year. The South Africans assembled on Saturday and were immediately tested for the virus. All tests came back negative but De Kock said full training would only start after the results of Tuesday’s second round of tests were received.

“Obviously we’ve got that bit of responsibility but it’s not much you can’t handle,” said De Kock. “It’s just a small part we can play in ensuring future tours in bubble life and Covid times.”

Quinon de Kock, Mark Boucher, MS Dhoni, India
Quinton de Kock. Photo Credit: Getty Images

Also Read: England’s Tour Of Sri Lanka In Doubt Due to New COVID-19 Strain

Also Read: Rajeev Shukla Hopeful To See India Doing Better In Boxing Day Test