Wriddhiman Saha, the renowned India wicketkeeper-batsman, delivered another shock on Tuesday by requesting a NOC to quit his domestic Ranji team Bengal.
The reports come less than 24 hours after he had been picked in Bengal Ranji’s semifinal squad to face Jharkhand in Bengaluru on June 6.
Saha, 37, had withdrawn out of the Ranji league phase claiming “personal reasons,” according to people who were close to him “Before naming him to the squad, he was not informed.”
An enraged Saha approached Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) president Avishek Dalmiya after hearing of the situation, demanding permission to leave Bengal, according to a source familiar with the situation.
“He no longer wants to play for Bengal and has requested a NOC.” One CAB office-bearer (joint secretary Debabrata Das) has allegedly questioned his dedication, which irritates him much. He is seeking a public apology “PTI quoted the source as saying.
Saha has played 122 first-class and 102 List A matches for Bengal since making his Ranji debut against Hyderabad on November 4, 2007.
‘Rahul Dravid advised me to consider retiring’: Wriddhiman Saha
It all started when he has left out of the Test team for a two-match series against Sri Lanka at home a few months ago, and Saha said that head coach Rahul Dravid had encouraged him to contemplate “retirement” since he wouldn’t be considered for selection again.
“The team management informed me that I would no longer be considered.” As long as I was a member of the India squad, I couldn’t tell. “Even coach Rahul Dravid urged that I consider retiring,” Saha told reporters at the time.
Saha has been in outstanding form for IPL newcomers Gujarat Titans, scoring 281 runs in eight matches at a strike rate of 123.24 and helping them qualify for the playoffs.