The International Cricket Council (ICC) on Saturday held a meeting through video conferencing to discuss urgent matters related to the Coronavirus Pandemic. The impact of the deadly disease has been felt all across the world of sport, and thus the governing body made contingency plans related to the future of cricket.
Meanwhile, former Indian skipper Sourav Ganguly joined the board meeting as Board Of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) representative, being the president of the same.
ICC board discuss contingency plans after Coronavirus impacts the upcoming schedule:
In the meeting, Cricket Australia (CA) and local Organising Committee were thanked for staging a successful Women’s T20 World Cup earlier this month.
ICC Chief Executive Manu Sawhney said: “We continue to undertake a comprehensive business continuity and contingency planning exercise which will allow us to adapt to the rapidly evolving world in which we find ourselves.”
He further added, “The management will continue our contingency planning around ICC events and will also work with Members to explore all options available to us based on a range of scenarios connected to the pandemic.”
Men’s T20 World Cup not under threat as of yet: ICC Board
The board further approved ICC audited financial statements for 2019, whilst also approving final accounts for the upcoming Men’s T20 World Cup that is scheduled to be held in Australia again, later this year in October.
“If things are under control from June, we can then work on a specific contingency plan. Right now, ICC would be working on various plans and would come up with their proposals in course of time,” a senior official told PTI on conditions of anonymity.
The coronavirus has had a big impact on the world, and the whole sporting fraternity has been left stranded midway.
All the bilateral series between various teams were called off and T20 leagues such as the PSL and IPL have also been impacted.