Kolkata Knight Riders beat Sunrisers Hyderabad by 5 wickets to seal their spot in the playoffs. Batting first, the Sunrisers Hyderabad scored a competitive 172 for 9 in the allotted 20 overs. Shikhar Dhawan top-scored for the Sunrisers, scoring 50. In reply, the Knight Riders chased down the total with 2 balls remaining. Chris Lynn anchored the chase brilliantly by scoring 55. Dinesh Karthik then remained till the end, scoring 26 to take his side home.
With the game all done and dusted now, here is a look at some interesting numbers and stats:
1. The Sunrisers suffered their third consecutive defeat this season. They last lost three games on the trot between 2015 and 2016. They ended 2015 with back to back losses and lost their first two games in 2016.
2. This was Knight Riders’ third win over Sunrisers in Hyderabad which is the most by any team. Chennai Super Kings, Mumbai Indians and Rising Pune Supergiants have two wins each against Sunrisers in Hyderabad.
3. Dinesh Karthik has been dismissed only twice since May 2017 in the successful chases in the T20 format. He remained unbeaten in ten of the 12 successful chases he has been involved in. During this period, he accumulated 392 runs at an average of 196 and a strike-rate of 169.69. Karthik’s 339 runs in 2018 across ten successful T20 chases have come at an average of 169.5 and a strike-rate of 172.95.
4. Prasidh Krishna took 4 wickets for the 30 runs in this game. It helped him become the first uncapped bowler to take a 4-wicket haul in the IPL for Knight Riders.
5. Sunil Narine became only the 4th player to score 300+ runs and take 15+ wickets in an IPL season. Shane Watson was the first one when he achieved the feat in 2008. Dwayne Bravo did the double in 2013 while Jacques Kallis achieved the feat in 2012 and 2013 for the Knight Riders.
6. This is only the second time that the Sunrisers failed to defend a total of 160-plus at their home venue in Hyderabad. In 2014, they had failed to defend 205 against Kings XI Punjab.
7. Chris Lynn has scored 425 runs this season. These are the most runs scored by an overseas player for the Knight Riders in an IPL season. He surpassed Jacques Kallis’ tally of 424 runs 2011.