In the ongoing eleventh edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL), Mumbai Indians (MI) finally got back to winning with an emphatic eight-wicket win over table-toppers Chennai Super Kings (CSK) in Pune on Saturday night.
It was a thorough all-round performance from the defending champions Indians which helped them register just their second win in seven games.
Rohit Sharma’s decision to bowl first was justified by his bowlers as they restricted the in-form batting lineup of Super Kings to 169 for five.
In reply, Rohit led from the front, scoring an unbeaten 56 – to take his team home with two balls remaining.
With the game now done and dusted, here is a look at some interesting stats and numbers:
1. Suresh Raina scored 75 not out in the game. It was his 12th fifty coming in a losing cause in the IPL history.
2. Mahendra Singh Dhoni became the first captain to feature in 150 IPL matches.
The veteran batsman Dhoni is followed by Gautam Gambhir (129). Both players are the only cricketers to lead in access of 100 games in the IPL.
3. Rohit Sharma became the second player to complete 600 runs against the Super Kings in the IPL.
So far, he has amassed 606 runs against them in 23 innings at an average of 30.30 with help of six fifties.
4. Raina breached the 22,000-run mark in his professional career. He completed the milestone when he reached his individual score of 47 in this match.
5. The match is only the second instance in the IPL where a team successfully chased down the target with eight or more wickets hand but only two balls to spare.
Super Kings got over the line with eight wickets in hand against Delhi Daredevils in the 2014 edition while chasing the target 179. They reached home with a couple of balls remaining.
6. Rohit Sharma has now won 16 Man of the Match awards in the IPL.
Only Chris Gayle (20) has won more awards in the IPL than Rohit. AB de Villiers and Yusuf Pathan also have bagged 16 Man of the Match awards in the lucrative Twenty20 league IPL.
7. Mumbai Indians skipper Rohit Sharma has now remained unbeaten in a successful run-chases in the IPL on 16 occasions.
Only Ravindra Jadeja (19) and Yusuf Pathan (18) remained unbeaten in successful IPL chases on more occasions than Rohit.
Dhoni and Gambhir also remained unbeaten on 16 occasions during successful chases in the IPL.