In the 15th match of the Big Bash League 2020/21 (BBL 10), Sydney Sixers snatched a thrilling one-wicket victory against Melbourne Stars at Carrara.
Sixers captain Daniel Hughes won the toss and chose to field first. While Melbourne Stars managed to score 193/5 (20 overs), Sixers just managed to chase down that challenging target in 19.5 overs after losing 9 wickets.
After this victory, Sixers climbed up top of the points table with 12 points.
Brief Scores: Melbourne Stars – 193/5 in 20 overs (Glenn Maxwell 71*, Nicholas Pooran 65; Steve O’Keefe 2/13)
Sydney Sixers – 194/9 in 19.5 overs (Daniel Hughes 96, Josh Philippe 22; Liam Hatcher 3/33)
The Result – Sydney Sixers won by 1 wicket
Big Bash League 2020-21 (BBL 10), Match 15: Sydney Sixers vs Melbourne Stars – Stats Review
Melbourne Stars – 2nd highest total against Sixers
i) Melbourne Stars scored 193/5 (20 overs). It was the second highest total for Stars against Sydney Sixers. Their record total against Sixers is 219/1 (20 overs).
Sydney Sixers – highest successful chase; 2nd highest total
i) Sydney Sixers successfully chased the 194 runs target as they scored 194/9 in 19.5 overs.
- It was the highest successful chase for Sixers. Their previous record was successfully chasing 190-run target (190/5 in 17.3 overs) against Melbourne Stars at Sydney on 23rd January 2018.
- It was also the second highest total for Sixers. Their record is 205/4 (20 overs) against Melbourne Renegades at Hobart on 13th December 2020.
Glenn Maxwell – 15th 50+ scores for Stars
i) Coming to bat at no.5 position, Glenn Maxwell scored 71 not out off 47 balls. It was his 15th 50+ score for Melbourne Stars. Surpassing Marcus Stoinis (14 times 50+ scores), Maxwell became the most 50+ scorer for this team.
Glenn Maxwell and Nicholas Pooran – 125 runs partnership for 5th wicket
i) For the fifth wicket, Glenn Maxwell and Nicholas Pooran put the 125 runs partnership.
- It was the third highest fifth wicket partnership in BBL history. The record in this list is 137 runs partnership which happened twice – between Marcus Stoinis and James Faulkner (Melbourne Stars) against Brisbane Heat at Brisbane on 20th December 2017 and between Cameron Bancroft and Hilton Cartwright (Perth Scorchers) against Sydney Thunder at Sydney on 11th January 2018 (137*).
- It was the fourth highest partnership for Melbourne Stars for any wicket.
Daniel Hughes – highest knock for Sixers
i) Daniel Hughes scored 96 runs off 51 balls. It is the highest individual score for Sydney Sixers. The previous record was 95 by Josh Philippe against Melbourne Renegades at Hobart on 13th December 2020.
– most sixes in an innings for Sixers
i) Hughes smashed 7 sixes in this match. It was the second most sixes in an innings for a Sydney Sixers’ batsman. The record is 8 sixes by Moises Henriques (against Melbourne Stars at Sydney on 20th January 2020).
– 2nd most T20 runs for Sixers
i) Daniel Hughes has scored 1462 runs for Sydney Sixers. Surpassing Nic Maddinson (1408 runs), Hughes became the second most T20 run-scorer for Sixers. Moises Henriques is one top of this list with 1831 T20 runs for this side.