IND vs PAK: India vs Pakistan match to be washed out? Concerning weather update arrives ahead of high-voltage T20 WC clash

Published - 07 Jun 2024, 04:36 PM | Updated - 07 Jun 2024, 04:37 PM

Babar Azam and Rohit Sharma
Babar Azam and Rohit Sharma (Credits: X)

The much-awaited India Vs Pakistan clash at the ICC T20 World Cup 2024 in New York is apparently under a major threat of getting washed out due to rain.  

This blockbuster fixture is all set to take place on June 9 at the Nassau County Stadium, New York from 8:00 PM (IST) onwards. It would have been the first time that the India Vs Pakistan match took place in the USA but the weather forecast is predicting a complete washout.

In such a case, the ICC will have to endure heavy losses as the Indo-Pak clash sees huge viewership.

Babar Azam and co. to enter the clash with a low morale

Whether on the field or off the field, India Vs Pakistan is a clash that nobody wants to miss out, especially the Indian fans. Pakistani fans might not want to watch the game this year as there is a feeling within that Babar Azam and co. will not be able to come out with a win. This feeling was further fuelled yesterday when the co-hosts USA picked up a 5-wicket win against the Men in Green. 

Pakistan had a full-strength playing XI at its disposal against ICC T20 World Cup first-timers USA, led by Gujarat-born Monank Patel. After a shambolic batting performance which saw them post a target of 160, the Pakistanis had an even poorer performance in the 2nd innings with the ball. 

What is the Weather forecast for the India Vs Pakistan clash? 

A piece of news that none of the cricketing fans around the world were expecting to get is that the India Vs Pakistan match on June 9 is on the verge of being washed out. Previously in this T20 World Cup, the match between England and Scotland earlier this week was canceled due to similar conditions and the same can happen when Rohit Sharma and Babar Azam's side collide.

According to Accuweather, in the USA there are 51% chances of rain from 11:00 AM onwards in New York. The scheduled starting time of the match is 10:30 but just half an hour later, the game could be halted due to the non-stop showers. A few hours later (by 3-4) the rain percentage will decrease but it won't be stopped.

Till 4'o clock, there are 50-60% rain chances after which it will go down to 30-40%. Since it is a day match, the umpires can wait until the afternoon for the match. But in case the rain doesn't stop and the daylight turns into nightlight, the officials will have no choice but to call the game off. 

Last year during the 50-over Asia Cup, India Vs Pakistan's Group match was abandoned after the 1st innings whereas a reserve day was kept for their meeting in the knockouts. With this being an ICC event, having a reserve day seems unlikely and both the teams might share 1 point each. 

If that happens, Pakistan will suffer quite a lot as they will have only a single point after 2 matches. India on the other hand will get to 3 points, heading into their 3rd group game against the USA.  

Tagged:

Babar Azam Rohit Sharma India National Cricket Team Pakistan national cricket team ICC T20 World Cup 2024 ICC T20 World Cup