England all-rounder Ben Stokes was engaged in a brawl in the streets of Bristol in August last year. As a result, he was handed an eight-match ban and a £30,000 fine by the Cricket Disciplinary Commission (CDC), a body independent from the ECB. Meanwhile, ECB chief Tom Harrison backed Stokes for his brilliant contribution to his nation since his debut.
The English all-rounder had taken to Twitter to apologize for the consequences of his actions. However, he said that he had learned the lessons and it will stay with him for much longer.
— Ben Stokes (@benstokes38) December 7, 2018
Harrison favoured Stokes
Meanwhile, Tom Harrison came out in support of Ben Stokes. He added that the all-rounder has learnt a lesson.
“Ben is a leader in the England team,” Harrison told BBC Sport. “He’s got great people around him, he’s got good support structures, and I’m sure he’s learnt a lesson,” he added.
In addition to, ECB chief is confident that Ben Stokes will deliver his best to the England cricket.
“I do think he can – he’s been through a year that will serve as a constant reminder of how quickly things can go wrong if you allow them,” Harrison said.
Moreover, Tom Harrison is adamant the punishment was a serious one. The ECB chief also insisted it is not like the board has not taken the matter seriously.
“We have an independent body making these judgements, they are qualified people and this has been a proper process. The sanctions handed down are serious, this is not something that’s been brushed under the carpet,” he added.
Furthermore, Stokes missed five months of cricket for England, including the 2018-19 Ashes series in Australia. However, Tom Harrison also backed the all-rounder by saying he is an integral part of the Test and ODI team and the Durham star can still be a role model.
“Ben is a key part of the Test and ODI team but I don’t think that’s got anything to do with the sanctions which have been handed down – the processes have been separate and deliberately so,” Harrison concluded.