Sri Lanka’s veteran fast bowler Lasith Malinga has retired from the One Day International format. Malinga was able to end his career on a high as he returned with the figures of 3-38 in his swansong performance. The Sri Lankan talisman fast bowler ended his career with 338 wickets from 226 One Day Internationals.
Want to be a professional cricketer?
It was a glorious career for Malinga as he was able to achieve great success during his career. Malinga now his eye set on the shortest format of the game and said that he wants to go all the way in T20I World Cup in 2020.
Here are Lasith Malinga’s ODI records.
1. Malinga finished as the third-highest wicket-taker for Sri Lanka. He finished as the ninth in the list of most wicket-takers in ODI format. Malinga scalped 338 wickets and ended up behind Chaminda Vaas and Muttiah Muralitharan who snared 399 and 523 wickets respectively.
2. Malinga strike rate of 32.04 is the second-best for any Sri Lankan bowler behind Ajantha Mendis who had a strike rate of 27.33.
3. Lasith Malinga is the sole bowler to take three hat-tricks in the 50-overs version. In fact, two ODI hat-trick of Malinga has come in the World Cup, which is a record. Malinga has a total of four hat-tricks across all the formats.
4. Lasith Malinga is the only bowler to take four wickets in four balls in an ODI match. Malinga had scalped four wickets in four balls in the World Cup match against South Africa.
5. Lasith Malinga is the third-highest wicket-taker in the World Cup history. The gun fast bowler has taken 59 wickets in 29 World Cup matches. Glenn McGrath had scalped 71 wickets whereas Muttiah Muralitharan had snared 68 wickets.
6. In fact, Malinga also has a batting record to his name. Malinga holds the record of scoring the highest score while batting at number 10 for Sri Lanka. The right-hander is the only Lankan batsman to score a fifty batting at number 10 for the Island nation.