Asia Cup 2018: Super-4s, Match 1, India vs Bangladesh – Statistical Highlights
India continued their winning streak in the Asia Cup with a thumping 7-wicket win over Bangladesh in the first game of the Super Four stage.
The Men in Blue once again put up a dominating display to prove their huge title-credentials. Bowling first, India bowled out Bangladesh for a paltry 173. Comeback man Ravindra Jadeja starred with the ball, picking up 4 for 29 off his ten overs.
In reply, led by skipper Rohit Sharma’s unbeaten 83, chased down the total inside 37 overs by losing just 3 wickets.
With the game now done and dusted, here is a look at the statistical highlights:
1. Rohit Sharma became the 2nd Indian and overall the 5th player to score consecutive fifty-plus scores as captain in the Asia Cup. Former skipper MS Dhoni achieved the feat for the first time when he scored 76 and 67 against Pakistan and Sri Lanka respectively during the 2008 Super-4s round.
2. Ravindra Jadeja picked up 4 for 29 in his ten overs. He thus became the first Indian and only the 3rd player overall to take back to back 4-wicket hauls in the Asia Cup. Jadeja’s last match in this competition was in the 2014 edition against Afghanistan where he took 4/30. The other two bowlers to pick up two consecutive four-wicket hauls in Asia Cup are Ajantha Mendis and Lasith Malinga.
3. Jadeja’s bowling figures of 4/29 in this game are the best bowling figures for a left-arm spinner in the Asia Cup. Jadeja bettered his own figures of 4/30 that he had registered against Afghanistan in the 2014 Asia Cup.
4. Bhuvneshwar Kumar and Jasprit Bumrah picked up three wickets apiece. This is the first time two Indian pacers took three wickets apiece while opening the bowling in an ODI in Asia since 2010.
5. Shikhar Dhawan became the first Indian and seventh overall to take four catches in an ODI game. The last of the previous six was VVS Laxman in the 2004 Perth ODI against Zimbabwe.
6. Rohit Sharma’s batting average against Bangladesh in the ODI format since 2015 is 108.75. He has scored 435 runs in 6 innings in this span against Bangladesh with two 100s and two 50s. Till the end of 2014, Rohit scored only 73 runs in five innings without a fifty-plus score against them.