Cricket Discipline Commission have fined Ben Stokes and Alex Hales for their involvement outside a Bristol nightclub in September last year. However, both the players will be available for selection through backdated (Stokes) and suspended (Hales) match bans.
The panel charged the duo with two breaches of ECB directive 3.3. In separate hearings, both admitted to the charges handed down to them.
Stokes received a fine of GBP 30,000 and a ban for eight matches which he has already served. The England allrounder had missed the final two ODIs against West Indies, the five-match Ashes series as well as the five-match ODI series against Australia that followed. Not only that, the star allrounder was also not available for the first two games of the T20I tri-series against New Zealand and Australia. Stokes also missed this year’s Lord’s Test against India to attend the trial for the affray charges.
On the other hand, Hales only missed the last two ODIs against West Indies. Hales has been fined GBP 17,500 and has been given a six-match ban. However, four of the six games have suspended elements for 12 months from the date of the hearing. In case, Hales commits another serious mistake, the suspension elements will come into force.
Meanwhile, both the players have faced charge for different mistakes. The first charge is for the same mistake that took place outside the brawl. However, in addition, Stokes faced another charge for the inappropriate video, showing the England cricketer mimicking Katie Price’s disabled son, Harvey. The panel declared that GBP 15,000 of Stokes’ GBP 30,000 fine will be paid to a suitable charity.
Hales, on his part, faced the second charge for the graphic images which emerged around the similar time. The nature of the images were such that not only did the panel impose a GBP 10,000 fine (GBP 5,500 suspended) but, as a condition of the suspension of the fine and match ban, ordered Hales undertake appropriate training regarding his behaviour. Hales has been told to do the same inside three months.
Both the players took to Twitter to apologise for their conducts and accepted the punishments.
“I am relieved to get back to playing the game that I love without this hanging over me,” said Stokes. “Although the disciplinary process is now over, I have learned lessons that will stay with me for much longer.” Hales stated his relief that Friday’s decision means the matter has come to an end and he can move on with his career.
— Ben Stokes (@benstokes38) December 7, 2018
— Alex Hales (@AlexHales1) December 7, 2018
With neither of the players being made unavailable for selection, they are likely to be a part of England’s squad for the tour of Caribbean next year. ECB will announce the Test and ODI squads on Monday.