In the third match of the BBL 10, Melbourne Stars won their second successive game of this tournament after beating Sydney Thunder by 22 runs at Manuka Oval (Canberra).
After winning the toss, Stars captain Glenn Maxwell chose to bat first. While they scored 169/8 (20 overs), Thunder only managed to reply with 147/9 (20 overs).
Brief Scores: Melbourne Stars -169/8 in 20 overs (Marcus Stoinis 61, Glenn Maxwell 39; Daniel Sams 2/24)
Sydney Thunder – 147/9 in 20 overs (Callum Ferguson 54, Alex Hales 46; Liam Hatcher 3/28)
The Result – Melbourne Stars won by 22 runs
Big Bash League 2020-21 (BBL 10), Match 3: Melbourne Stars vs Sydney Thunder – Stats Review
Melbourne Stars – (all against Thunder) highest total outside home city, 2nd largest victory, 5th consecutive victory
i) Melbourne Stars scored 169/8 (20 overs). It was their highest total against Sydney Thunder outside Melbourne. Their previous record in this list was 166/8 (20 overs) at Sydney on 4th January 2017.
ii) Stars won this match by 22 runs.
- It was their second largest victory (by runs) against Thunder. Their record is winning by 28 runs at Melbourne on 6th February 2020.
- It was their fifth successive victory against Thunder.
Marcus Stoinis – top half-century
i) Opener Marcus Stoinis scored 61 runs. It was the second highest individual score for a Melbourne Stars opener against Sydney Thunder. The record is 83 by Marcus Stoinis at Melbourne on 6th February 2020.
ii) It was Marcus Stoinis’ fourth half-century against Sydney Thunder. After Chris Lynn (5 times) and Kevin Pietersen (4 times), Stoinis became the third batsman to hit at least four half-centuries against Thunder.
Adam Zampa – top economical spell
i) The leg-spinner Adam Zampa had the bowling figures of 4-0-10-2 (economy rate 2.50).
- It was the best economical bowling figures for a Melbourne Stars’ spinner, who completed his four-over quota in a match. Their previous record was 4-0-12-2 (economy rate 3.00) by the left-arm spinner Michael Beer against Perth Scorchers at Perth on 14th January 2017.
- It was the second best economical bowling figures for a Stars’ spinner, who delivered at least 18 balls in a T20 match. Their record is 3-1-7-2 by Sandeep Lamichhane against Perth Scorchers at Perth on 15th January 2020.
- It was the fifth best economical bowling figures for a Stars’ bowler, who delivered at least 18 balls in a T20 match.