Australia head coach Darren Lehmann, on Monday (December 25), confirmed he would step down from his post after his current contract expires following the Ashes in 2019.
The former Australia batsman had replaced Mickey Arthur in 2013 and was given a contract extension last year to remain with the team until October 2019. Time and again, Lehmann has spoken about how hectic the life in today’s game is and had previously hinted that the English summer of 2019 would be his last hurrah as Australia coach.
Moreover, the globetrotting has also taken a toll on the 47-year old’s health. Last year, he was hospitalised for treatment of deep vein thrombosis and had missed the T20I series against India.
“That will be it,” Lehmann said when asked if he will extend his contract beyond 2019.
Lehmann went on to reiterate the reason to step down from his post is ‘too much time, too much travel.’
“It will be a case of too much time, too much travel. For me, I’ve really enjoyed the role and (am) loving it. We’ll just get to that point and work out what we do from there,” he added.
Under Lehmann, Australia had won two Ashes series at home and lost two in England in addition to winning the 2015 World Cup at home.
“For me, I’ve really enjoyed the role and loving it,” he said. “We’ll just get to that point and work out what we do from there.”
Cricket Australia, on its part, has tried its best to ease the pressure off Lehmann. Earlier this year, assistant coach David Saker stood in for Lehmann when Australia toured India for a limited-overs series while former opener Justin Langer coached the team for home T20 series against Sri Lanka in February.
Meanwhile, Langer, who also stood in for Lehmann during the tri-series in West Indies last year, is being tipped to become the next Australia coach.
Video of the day: