Former India skipper and Cricket Association of Bengal President Sourav Ganguly has said a decision would be taken soon on removal of Pakistan cricketers’ photographs, including that of PM Imran Khan, from the walls of Eden Gardens. In the wake of the Pulwama attack that claimed the lives of 44 CRPF personnels, there has been a nationwide to call Pakistan from every sector and cricket has not remained far behind.
Last week, IMG-Reliance pulled out of its deal to produce television coverage of the ongoing Pakistan Super League worldwide. Before that, DSport, which was broadcasting the game in India, had also stopped the coverage. In other show of protests, several cricketing bodies had removed the pictures of Pakistani players from their premises.
The state cricket associations of Vidarbha, Punjab and Rajasthan have already removed pictures of Pakistan cricketers and now Ganguly said a decision over it would be taken same. The legendary batsman’s comment came after BJP’s youth wing workers protested in front of the Eden Gardens, seeking removal of photographs of Pakistani cricketers.
“We are working on it. There will be a decision soon,” Ganguly told reporters.
Meanwhile, there are also calls to Pakistan in the upcoming World Cup. Reports later suggested that the BCCI is in mood to get Pakistan ousted from the tournament. In the latest development, the BCCI has now written to the International Cricket Council, asking the “cricketing community to sever ties with countries from which terrorism emanates”. BCCI CEO Rahul Johri, on Friday, wrote to ICC chief executive Dave Richardson and chairman Shashank Manohar to bring the Pulwama incident to ICC’s notice, and reiterated that the attack was carried out by an “outfit based in Pakistan”.
The BCCI also expressed “its concerns over the safety and security” of its players, fans and match officials “in the buildup to the marquee clash in the World Cup on June 16 in Manchester.”