While Steven Smith’s criticism of Glenn Maxwell in public had suggested everything is not well between the duo, Maxwell, on Tuesday (January 9), dismissed all the suggestions, saying he intends to catch up with the Australia captain and talk about the comments.
Last week, Smith had caused quite a stir by publicly criticising Maxwell’s training standards, advising the hard-hitting batsman to ditch the “funky” stuff while commenting on his non-selection in the ODI squad. Maxwell, who has been in brilliant form in Sheffield Shield and the ongoing Big Bash League, was a surprise omission from the squad, with national selection panel member Trevor Hohns stating the middle-order batsman paid the price for his recent mediocre returns in ODIs.
Smith then went on to further explain the reason behind Maxwell’s ouster.
“Just looking at the way he trains, I think he could train a little bit smarter,” Smith had said. “We’ve all seen the way he can come out and play and do all his funky stuff and be pretty cool with that, but when he puts his head down he’s actually a really good batsman, as we’ve seen in Shield cricket – he’s got some big runs there.
“If he keeps his head switched on and trains really well and focuses on basic things probably more than the expansive things then I think that will help him have his consistency. If he’s having those consistent performances he’s certainly a person you want in your team,” he had added.
But while Smith’s comments gave a hint of a rift, Maxwell believes the captain only had good intentions and is now looking to catch up with him to clear the air.
“I’ll address (those comments) with Steven personally, I’ll have a chat with him,” Maxwell said after the game against Adelaide Strikers.
“I know what it’s like to say things in the media. I’m sure there were only good intentions behind it. He’s only trying to get the best out of me as the Australian skipper. There’s not much you can say. I’ve got to listen to him, and I’ll be doing my best to get on his right side and do everything I can to play for Australia,” he added.
With Australia yet to name a replacement for injured Chris Lynn, Maxwell has strengthened his case by scoring a 39-ball 60 against the Strikers. He was also the leading Shield run-scorer before entering the Big Bash break. However, the Victorian insisted he is not overthinking about the possibility of an ODI recall.
“I know it’s a replacement for Lynny, but I haven’t been thinking about it, that’s for sure,” Maxwell said. “It hasn’t been my focus. My focus at the moment is trying to get the Melbourne Stars to their first win.”
“I certainly have a hunger to get back in there, but my main job right now is to score runs for the Melbourne Stars, and I’m trying to do that at the moment,” the 29-year-old added.
The five-match ODI series gets underway in Melbourne on Sunday (January 14).
Here is the news feed:
Catch all the news related to Australia cricket here.
Video of the day: