In what could be a body-blow for the inaugural World Test Championship, the International Cricket Council [ICC] could be forced to move the final from the ‘Mecca of cricket’- Lord’s Cricket Stadium- due to an ongoing financial tussle between the England & Wales Cricket Board and the global cricketing body.
The summit clash of the inaugural World Test Championship (WTC) has been penciled to take place between June 10-14 at the iconic Lord’s Cricket Ground but sources in the know of development have said if the financial issues aren’t resolved then the ICC could be forced to move the final to an alternative venue.
“We could actually see the final of the World Test Championship set to be held from June 10 to 14 at the Lord’s move to another venue. Too early to get into the exact details behind this, but certain financial issues need immediate resolving if the final has to happen at the Lord’s, and at the moment the clouds are grey is all I can say,” a report in ANI said.
ICC recently amended the WTC Points Table system
The World Test Championship has already seen itself face a lot of hurdles since its inception last year.
Due to a plethora of Test rubbers getting postponed due to Covid-19, questions had galore regarding its future. On Thursday, the ICC amended the points system to determine the finalists.
As opposed to the previous system where the maximum points accumulated by a team over a two-year cycle was the criteria for determining the finalists, the new system will consider the highest percentage of points accumulated by a team over the number of points it contested for.
“Both the Cricket Committee and Chief Executives Committee supported the approach of ranking teams based on completed matches and points earned as this reflects their performance and doesn’t disadvantage teams that have been unable to compete all of their matches through no fault of their own. We explored a whole range of options, but our Members felt strongly that we should proceed as planned with the first ever World Test Championship Final in June next year.” Manu Shawney, ICC Chief Executive, said in a press-release.
🇦🇺 Today's announcement means Australia jump past India to claim 🔝 spot in the ICC World Test Championship 🏆 pic.twitter.com/Pjitqfu2pg
— ICC (@ICC) November 19, 2020