IPL 2018: Match 14, Mumbai Indians vs Royal Challengers Bangalore – Statistical Highlights
Defending champions Mumbai Indians finally got off the mark this season. The three-time IPL winners thrashed Royal Challengers Bangalore in their fourth game to open their account.
The hosts rode on fifties from skipper Rohit Sharma and Evin Lewis to post a daunting 213 for 6 in the allotted 20 overs. In reply, the Royal Challengers were restricted to 167 for 8 despite Virat Kohli scoring an unbeaten 92.
With the game now done and dusted, here is a look at some interesting numbers:
1. The game saw the first instance of both captains scoring 90 or more in the same game. Rohit scored 94 while Kohli remained unbeaten on 92.
2. The game also witnessed only the second instance of a team losing two wickets on the first two balls of an innings in the IPL. Chennai Super Kings had suffered the same fate against Kings XI Punjab in 2011.
3. Mumbai Indians won their first match in five attempts in IPL at the Wankhede. This was also their fifth consecutive win in the IPL against Bangalore.
4. Jasprit Bumrah became the fifth bowler to take 50 wickets in the IPL for Mumbai Indians. He reached the landmark in his 51sy game.
5. Kohli’s unbeaten 92 is the highest individual score for a captain in an unsuccessful IPL chase. Murali Vijay’s 89 for Punjab in 2016 against Bangalore was the previous highest.
6. Rohit Sharma’s 94-run knock is his highest T20 score at the Wankhede.
7. Rohit has now hit 179 sixes in the IPL. He is now second in the list of most sixes in IPL behind Chris Gayle’s 269 sixes.
8. Kohli is now the leading run scorer in the IPL, surpassing Suresh Raina’s tally of 4558 runs. He also completed 5000 runs in the T20 format for Bangalore, thus becoming the first player to score 5000 runs for a single team in the T20 format.