Mumbai Indians kept their slim playoff hopes alive with a convincing 6-wicket win over Kings XI Punjab. Sent in to bat first, Kings XI Punjab posted a competitive 174 for 6 in the allotted 20 overs. Chris Gayle once again starred with the bat, scoring 50 to register his third fifty of the season. In reply, Mumbai Indians reached home with an over remaining. They were in a spot of bother after being reduced to 120 for 4. However, skipper Rohit Sharma (24*) and Krunal (31*) put together a quickfire 56-run stand in 3.3 overs to help Mumbai register their third win of the season.
With the game now done and dusted, here is a look at some interesting numbers:
1. For the third game in a row, Ravichandran Ashwin failed to get a wicket despite bowling his full quota of four overs. This is the first time in his IPL career that Ashwin has not picked a wicket in three consecutive matches even after bowling all the four overs.
2. Chris Gayle and KL Rahul opened the innings for the fifth time this season and went on to share a fifty-plus stand on all the five occasions. It made them only the second pair in the IPL history to record five consecutive fifty-plus stands. Virat Kohli and AB de Villiers had registered 50+ stands in five consecutive games in 2016.
3. Team batting second have won all the six matches in the IPL that were hosted at Indore’s Holkar Stadium. Kings XI Punjab won three out of the five games they have played at this venue and have lost twice against Mumbai Indians.
4. This was the seventeenth time Rohit Sharma remained unbeaten during a run-chase in the IPL. On all the 17 occasions, his team ended up on the winning side. The right-handed batsman remained unbeaten in four successful chases for Deccan Chargers and 13 times for Mumbai Indians.
5. Rohit now has 301 sixes in T20s. He became the first Indian and the overall seventh player to smash 300 sixes in the shortest format of the game.
6. KL Rahul has now scored 1017 runs in the IPL. The Kings XI opener is one of the 59 players to score 1000 runs in the tournament to date.