IPL 2018: Match 35, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore – Statistical Highlights
Chennai Super Kings (CSK) returned to winning ways with an emphatic six-wicket win over Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) on Saturday (May 5).
Mahendra Singh Dhoni’s decision to bowl first was fully justified by his bowlers as they restricted the Royal Challengers to just 127 for nine.
Spinners in the form of Ravindra Jadeja and Harbhajan Singh starred with the ball while sharing five wickets to make the mess of Royal Challengers’ innings.
The batsmen then totally complimented the bowlers’ effort, chasing down the total with two overs remaining.
Cameos from Ambati Rayudu (25-ball 32), Suresh Raina (21-ball 25) and captain Dhoni’s 23-ball 31 took the two-time IPL champions home comfortably.
With the game now done and dusted, here is a look at some interesting numbers and stats:
1. Ravindra Jadeja’s three for 18 is his first three-wicket haul in 60 games in the Twenty20 format. He last picked up a 3-wicket haul in 2015 when he took four for 15 against Rajasthan Royals (RR).
2. This was the third time AB de Villiers got stumped by Dhoni in the history of IPL.
3. Dhoni has now hit 27 sixes this season. These are the most number of sixes Dhoni hit in an IPL edition surpassing his tally of 25 sixes that he achieved in 2013.
4. Dhoni has remained unbeaten on 17 occasions in successful run-chases in the IPL. This is the joint third-most for any player.
Ravindra Jadeja (19), Yusuf Pathan (18) and Rohit Sharma (17) are the other players to remain unbeaten on 17 and more occasions in successful IPL chases.
5. Ambati Rayudu became the 16th player to hit 100+ sixes in the IPL.
He hit 79 sixes while playing for the Mumbai Indians in 107 innings and already has 22 sixes for Chennai Super Kings in 10 innings.
6. Dhoni is now second-joint in the list of most sixes hit by a player in the IPL.
The 36-year old has hit 183 sixes so far and is level with his India teammate Rohit Sharma. The list is led by Chris Gayle, who has hit a staggering 290 sixes so far.
7. Ambati Rayudu has now scored 423 runs this season. He thus became the first player to cross the 400-run mark this season.
Playing trade with Chennai Super Kings, the 32-year-old batsman Rayudu, for the first time has scored more than 400 runs in an IPL. His previous best tally was 395 runs he scored for Mumbai in 2011.