Passion amongst the Indian fans is unmatchable by fans of any other country, and it is rightly said, Cricket is a Religion in India. This passion makes fans do some unthinkable things, and this time this love or addiction to the game resulted in the death of a cricket fan. A Virat Kohli fan who had attempted suicide after Kohli failed in the first innings of the first Test against South Africa died after he succumbed to his burn injuries.
A Virat Kohli fan from Madhya Pradesh Ratlam’s district, Babulal Bariya took an extreme step of setting himself ablaze after Kohli was dismissed for just five runs. Babulal, a retired railway officer, took the extreme step and poured kerosene over his head to set himself on fire after Kohli’s dismal show in the first innings. He was hospitalized on Saturday.
The incident occurred in Ratlam’s Ambedkar Nagar under the jurisdiction of the station road police station. Ram Singh, assistant sub-inspector (ASI) at station road police station Ratlam told Hindustan Time:
“Bariya told us that when Kohli got out ‘uska dimag satak gaya’ (he was very upset). He took a bottle of kerosene nearby and poured it on his head and set himself ablaze.”
Ram Singh also told that Babulal had a drinking problem, and was under the influence of alcohol when he took this step:
“When family members came to know what he had done after he started shouting, they immediately rushed him to the district hospital for treatment. He had received burn injuries on his face, head and hands. He had received around 60 % burn injuries”
Dr. Anand Chandelkar, a civil surgeon at district government hospital Ratlam, said that Babulal succumbed to his burn injuries and the body was handed over to the family after the post-mortem. He said:
“If a person is elderly, he or she can die even with less burn injuries”
India lost the first Test by 72 runs. The second Test begins on 13th January in Centurion.
Follow more news about India’s tour of South Africa 2018 here.