Stepping Down Was Anil Kumble’s Personal Decision, Says Sourav Ganguly
Sourav Ganguly, the former India skipper and member of the Cricket Advisory Committee (CAC), on Thursday (June 22), said that stepping down from the post of Indian cricket team’s head coach was Anil Kumble‘s personal decision.
“He has resigned at the last minute, it’s his personal decision. I don’t want to talk on this matter,” said Ganguly who was a part of the three-member committee that picked Kumble as the coach last year.
Earlier this week, Kumble resigned from the post of the India’s head coach, bringing an end to the episode that had begun with rumours of rift between him and skipper Virat Kohli before the Champions Trophy. Kohli had managed to put the rumours to bed by claiming that everything was fine but the whole matter became clear when Kumble released a statement after his resignation. The former India skipper revealed that he chose to walk away after being informed of Kohli’s reservations over his coaching ‘style’.
The CAC along with the BCCI officials had tried to convince Kumble and Kohli to bury the hatchet but it was of no use as Kumble made it clear that the coach-captain partnership was untenable.
“I am honoured by the confidence reposed in me by the CAC, in asking me to continue as Head Coach. The credit for the achievements of the last one year goes to the Captain, the entire team, coaching and support staff. Post this intimation, I was informed for the first time yesterday by the BCCI that the Captain had reservations with my ‘style’ and about my continuing as the Head Coach.
I was surprised since I had always respected the the role boundaries between Captain and Coach. Though the BCCI attempted to resolve the misunderstandings between the Captain and me, it was apparent that the partnership was untenable, and I therefore believe it is best for me to move on,” Kumble had said in his statement.
Thank you! pic.twitter.com/eF5qVzdBRj
— Anil Kumble (@anilkumble1074) June 20, 2017
Sourav Ganguly along with fellow CAC members Sachin Tendulkar and VVS Laxman will now have to appoint a new coach. The BCCI, meanwhile, has decided to call for more applications for the head coach’s position. It had advertised for the post last month and had received applications from Virender Sehwag, Tom Moody, Richard Pybus, Dodda Ganesh and Lalchand Rajput.
The new coach will be selected in a similar process that saw Kumble leaving behind other competitors to become the coach last year. After the applicants apply for the post, they will be reviewed by the CAC. After that, the committee will conduct interviews and seek presentations before appointing the new coach.