The United Arab Emirates (UAE) Cricket Board has suspended all its tournaments and face to face group meetings from March 16th to the end of the month as a precautionary measure against coronavirus pandemic. The decision comes after the recommendation of the Medical Advisory Committee (MAC).
The decision came after twelve more cases of coronavirus have been confirmed in the UAE. Thus, bringing the total number of infections in the country to 98, the Ministry of Health and Prevention (MoHAP) announced on Sunday.
Amid coronavirus scare, resumption will be considered after government update: Emirates Cricket Board
The rapid spread of the disease has led to the sporting calendar around the world come to a virtual standstill.
In between, Australia’s ODI series against New Zealand was called off, so as India’s ODI series against South Africa. Both series were to be held in empty stadiums before being called off altogether.
The coronavirus outbreak, which has so far claimed over 6000 lives, has led to ether cancellation or postponement of many sports events across the world.
The board further said that resuming of the cricket-related activities “will be considered only following any update from the higher government authorities”.
“Cessation of all cricket activities at councils/clubs/academies/teams for all age groups with immediate effect until 31st March 2020,” the ECB said in a statement in the wake of the coronavirus outbreak which has claimed over 6,000 lives so far across the world.
Not only international schedule but also the franchise tournaments were postponed.
Lucrative League postponed due to the coronavirus outbreak:
The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) on Friday postponed the 13th edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL) and pushed back its start to April 15 due to the outbreak of coronavirus.
The tournament was scheduled to begin on March 29 with a blockbuster clash between defending champions Mumbai Indians and last year’s runners-up Chennai Super Kings (CSK).