Windies vs England 2019, 4th ODI – Statistical Highlights
England, on Wednesday, beat Windies by 29 runs in a high-scoring thriller in Granada to take an unassailable 2-1 lead in the five-match series. Batting first, England slammed a gigantic 418 for 6 with Jos Buttler and Eoin Morgan scoring tons. In reply, Windies, inspired by Chris Gayle’s 162, came up with a tough fight but were eventually all out for 389.
England 418/6 in 50 overs (Alex Hales 82, Jonny Bairstow 56, Eoin Morgan 103, Jos Buttler 150; Carlos Brathwaite 2-69)
Windies 389 (Chris Gayle 162, Darren Bravo 61, Carlos Brathwaite 50, Ashley Nurse 43; Mark Wood 4-60, Adil Rashid 5-85, Mark Wood 4-60)
Result: England won by 29 runs.
With the game now all done and dusted, we take a look at the statistical highlights:
1. Jos Buttler scored 150 off 77 deliveries. He took only 60 balls to complete his ton and thus reached an ODI century under 70 balls for the fourth time in his career – the joint 2nd most such hundreds for any player. AB de Villiers completed his ODI centuries in less than 70 balls on six occasions. Buttler holds the second position along with Shahid Afridi and Virender Sehwag.
2. Eoin Morgan, who scored 103, became the first England player to score 6,000 runs in ODIs.
Here is a list showing most ODI runs by England players:
3. Morgan and Buttler added 204 runs for the fourth wicket in just 20.2 overs at a run-rate of 10.03. No other ODI partnership of 200+ runs had a run-rate of nine or more runs per over.
4. Buttler hit 12 sixes during his whirlwind knock and became the first England player to hit ten or more sixes in an ODI. The previous highest number of sixes in an ODI for England was 8 each by Buttler and Moeen Ali.
5. England hit 24 sixes during their innings and became the team to his most number of sixes in an ODI inning. They surpassed the 23 sixes hit by the Windies during the first ODI of the ongoing series.
6. Buttler completed his 150 off 76 balls, thus becoming the second fastest to score 150 in ODI cricket. Former South Africa skipper AB de Villiers holds the record for fastest 150, achieving the milestone in just 64 deliveries against the Windies. Buttler also became the first England wicket-keeper to score a 150 in the ODI format.
A special welcome back to the dressing room after a sensational inning! 🙌
Take a bow @josbuttler!
— England Cricket (@englandcricket) February 27, 2019
7. England scored 154 runs in their last ten overs – the second most by any team in their final ten overs of an ODI inning. South Africa scored 163 runs during the 2015 World Cup match also against the Windies.
8. England scored a staggering 280 runs through boundaries in the game after hitting 24 sixes and 34 fours being hit. These are the 2nd most number of runs in an ODI for a team coming through boundaries.
9. 807 runs were scored in the match which is the third-highest aggregate total in ODI history. It follows 825 scored by India and Sri Lanka (Rajkot 2009) and South Africa and Australia (Johannesburg 2006)