ECB Announces Disciplinary Verdict On Ollie Robinson For Historic Tweets; Pacer Allowed To Return Immediately

Ollie Robinson
Ollie Robinson. Image-Getty

England seamer Ollie Robinson has been freed to return to cricket as the board announced the verdict of the Cricket Discipline Commission (CDC) Panel on Saturday regarding his historic tweets of racist and sexist and discriminatory in nature the pacer had sent out when he was a teenager.

Two charges were brought against Ollie Robinson for the tweets dated between 2012 and 2014. That these were dug out and revealed on the day he made his Test debut – against New Zealand at Lord’s – was disheartening for the pacer, who was then suspended for the second Test at Edgbaston.

The Panel found him guilty and suspended him from playing cricket for 8 matches, 5 of which will be suspended for two years. Meaning that Ollie Robinson is suspended from 3 matches – but in these three matches he has already missed out. The second Test versus New Zealand and two of the Blast T20 matches from which he had voluntarily withdrawn himself from selection for Sussex.

Ollie Robinson
Ollie Robinson. Photo Credit: (Getty Images)

Hence, Ollie Robinson is allowed to return back to playing international cricket. But he could be further suspended for 5 more matches in the next two years if more light against him is revealed regarding his discipline, in this case, or any else.

He is also fined £3,200 and will be required to participate in all training programmes in both the use of social media and in respect of anti-discrimination as directed by the Professional Cricketers’ Association (PCA) over the next 2 years.

The bottom line is: Ollie Robinson is free to play cricket immediately. He was impressive in his debut Test, picking up 7 wickets at just 14.42; he is likely to be selected for the 5-Test match series against India starting August 4.

“In coming to its decision, the Panel took into account a number of factors including the nature and content of the tweets, the breadth of their discrimination, their widespread dissemination in the media and the magnitude of the audience to whom they became available,” an ECB statement said.

“The Panel also considered there was significant mitigation, including the time that had elapsed since the tweets were posted, and a number of personal references which demonstrated that Robinson, who chose to address the Panel, is a very different person to the one who sent the tweets.

“It also took account of his remorse, admissions and cooperation as well as the huge impact which the revelation of these tweets and its consequences have had upon him and his family,” it further added.

Ollie Robinson
Ollie Robinson [Image-Getty]

Ollie Robinson’s statement:

“I fully accept the CDC’s decision. As I have said previously, I am incredibly embarrassed and ashamed about the tweets I posted many years ago and apologise unreservedly for their contents.

“I am deeply sorry for the hurt I caused to anyone who read those tweets and in particular to those people to whom the messages caused offence. This has been the most difficult time in my professional career for both my family and myself.

“Whilst I want to move on, I do want to use my experience to help others in the future through working with the PCA.”

Also Read: ‘I Didn’t Expect It, To Be Honest’: Tymal Mills On Eoin Morgan Endorsing Him For The T20 World Cup

Related Posts