Australia are in an injury crisis ahead of the first Test against India, scheduled to start on December 17. Incumbent David Warner is sidelined with groin injury and has already been ruled out of the first Test. He is now in a race against time to regain full fitness ahead of the Boxing Day Test.
Another opener Will Pucovski is also doubtful for the clash after coping a blow on his head during a tour game earlier this week. He was hit on his head by a bouncer from Kartik Tyagi and suffered mild concussion. It was the ninth time, the 22-year old suffered concussion in his short career so far.
And as Australia find themselves in a tight spot, they could give a shock call to veteran batsman Shaun Marsh. Australia head coach Justin Langer has confirmed the 37-year-old hasn’t been ruled out of a shock Test return as the team’s top-order faces crisis.
Shaun Marsh has not played a Test for Australia since January 2019. Incidentally, his last Test appearance came against India. And while the left-handed batsman was nowhere in contention for a spot in Australia’s Test team for the upcoming series, Justin Langer has said you “never discriminate against age” while also stating that Marsh could be in the mix.
Justin Langer’s comments has further made things complicated for Australia ahead of the first Test. In Warner and Pucovski’s absence, Marcus Harris is expected to be in the playing eleven. But Marsh is now firmly in contention, having scored an impressive 485 runs in six Shield innings as captain of Western Australia.
“You never discriminate against age. He’s doing everything possible,” Justin Langer told 7 NEWS on Friday.
“His numbers in Sheffield Shield cricket – not only this year but the back end of last year – were absolutely elite. There’s no more popular player in the Australian cricket team than Shaun, maybe his brother (Mitch) actually. It’s an incredible family, the Marsh family, they’re much loved within the team,” he added.