The hosts Australia finally claimed a 12-run victory in the third and final match of the three-match T20I series against the visitors India at Sydney Cricket Ground (Sydney). However, the visitors won this series by the 2-1 margin.
After the visitors sent the hosts to bat first, the home side managed to score 186/5 (20 overs). In reply, the visitors failed to reach the target and scored 174/7 (20 overs).
Brief Scores: Australia – 186/5 in 20 overs (Matthew Wade 80, Glenn Maxwell 54; Washington Sundar 2/34)
India – 174/7 in 20 overs (Virat Kohli 85, Shikhar Dhawan 28; Mitchell Swepson 3/23)
The result – Australia won by 12 runs
Here are some of the stats reviews of the match:
India – 1st T20I defeat in 2020, ended 11-match unbeaten streak
i) The visitors India suffered a 12-run defeat in this T20I.
- Playing their 11th T20I in the present calendar year 2020, it was India’s first T20I defeat in this year. Before this match, India managed to win 7 T20Is, tie 2 T20Is (won both the Super Overs) and the other T20I had no result in this calendar year.
- Also, this defeat ended India’s incredible run of 11 successive T20Is unbeaten streak, which is their record but the joint second best record in the history of most unbeaten streak in T20Is.
Aaron Finch – joint most ducks as a T20I captain
i) Aussie skipper Aaron Finch scored his fifth duck as a T20I captain, which is the joint-most ducks as a T20I captain. Former Ireland captain William Porterfield and former Bangladesh skipper Mashrafe Mortaza also managed five ducks each as a T20I captain.
Matthew Wade – Highest individual T20I score as a left-handed Aussie batsman against India
i) Opening batsman Matthew Wade scored 80 runs off 53 balls.
- It is the highest individual T20I score for a left-handed Australian batsman against India. Their previous best was 72 by David Warner (at Bridgetown 7th May 2010) and Matthew Wade (at Sydney on 1st February 2012) once each.
- It was the fourth highest individual T20I score for an Australian batsman against India.
|Shane Watson||124*||Sydney||31st January 2016|
|Glenn Maxwell||113*||Bengaluru||27th February 2019|
|Aaron Finch||89||Rajkot||10th October 2013|
|Matthew Wade||80||Sydney||8th December 2020|
|Ricky Ponting||76||Mumbai (Brabourne Stadium)||20th October 2007|
D’Arcy Short – 2nd fastest 3000 T20 runs
i) D’Arcy Short has scored 3004 T20 runs in 86 T20 innings. He became the second fastest batsman (number of innings) to complete 3000 T20 runs. Another Australian Shaun Marsh is holding this record as he completed 3000 T20 runs in 85 T20 innings.
Mitchell Swepson – one of the best T20I bowling figures as a Aussie spinner
i) The leg-spinner Mitchell Swepson had the bowling figures of 4-0-23-3.
- It is the best T20I bowling figures for an Aussie spinner against India. The previous record was 2-0-4-2 by David Hussey at Sydney on 1st February 2012.
- It was the third best T20I bowling figures for an Aussie spinner at home.
|Glenn Maxwell||2-0-10-3||England||Hobart||7th February 2018|
|Adam Zampa||4-0-14-3||Sri Lanka||Adelaide||27th October 2019|
|Mitchell Swepson||4-0-23-3||India||Sydney||8th December 2020|
|David Hussey||4-0-25-3||South Africa||Melbourne||11th January 2009|
|Adam Zampa||4-0-25-3||Sri Lanka||Adelaide||22th February 2017|
Virat Kohli – most T20I runs at away venues, 300 T20I sixes, joint-most 50+ T20I score and others
i) Virat Kohli has scored 1193 T20I runs at away venues (only the home venues of the opposition team). Surpassing Pakistan cricketer Mohammad Hafeez, Kohli becomes the most T20I run-scorer at away venue.
ii) Virat Kohli has hit 302 sixes in T20 career. The right-handed batsman became the fourth Indian to hit 300+ T20 sixes. After this match, while he has equaled the record of former Indian cricketer MS Dhoni (302 sixes), Rohit Sharma (380 sixes) and Suresh Raina (311 sixes) are the other names in the list of 300 T20 sixes among the Indians.
iii) Virat Kohli registered his 25th 50+ score in T20I career and became the joint-most 50+ run-scorer in T20I career by equaling the record of his national teammate Rohit Sharma.
iv) Virat Kohli has scored 3052 international runs in Australia. After Sachin Tendulkar (3300 runs), Kohli became the second Indian to score 3000 international runs in Australia.
v) Indian captain Virat Kohli scored 85 runs off 61 balls.
- It was the second highest individual T20I score for an Indian batsman against Aussies. Their record is 90 not out by Virat Kohli at Adelaide on 26th January 2016.
- It was the second highest individual T20I score for a captain in Australia. The record is 124 not out by Australian captain Shane Watson against India at Sydney on 31st January 2o16.
- It was the second highest individual T20I score for an Indian captain outside the home soil. The record is 89 runs by Rohit Sharma against Bangladesh at Colombo (RPS) on 14th March 2018.
vi) Virat Kohli scored 134 runs in this three-match T20I series. It was the third most runs for an Indian captain in a bilateral T20I series. The top two records in this list are 183 runs by Virat Kohli (against West Indies in India during three-match T20I series in December 2019) and 162 runs by Rohit Sharma (against Sri Lanka in India during the three-match T20I series in December 2017).