India started their long tour of the United Kingdom with a thumping 76-run win over Ireland in the first Twenty20 International. Asked to bat first, the Men in Blue piled up 208 for five in their allotted 20 overs.
The opening duo of Rohit Sharma and Shikhar Dhawan starred with the bat, scoring 97 and 74 respectively as they added 160 runs for the first wicket.
However, in reply, Ireland never looked in contention to chase down the massive total.
Barring James Shannon who scored 60, no other player could make any substantial contribution. As a result, the hosts could only manage 132 for nine in 20 overs.
With the game now done and dusted, we take a look at all the stats and numbers following the first T20I:
1. Rohit and Dhawan added 160 runs for the first wicket. It is now India’s second-biggest partnership for any wicket in T20I cricket.
Interestingly, this is the third 150-plus T20I partnership for India and Rohit has been involved in all those three stands.
2. Peter Chase took a four-wicket haul in a space of seven balls dismissing Suresh Raina, Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Rohit Sharma and Virat Kohli.
Chase failed to take a wicket in the two T20Is he played before this game.
3. India’s total of 208 for five is their 10th 200-plus total in the shortest format of the game.
South Africa (11) and Australia (10) are the only other two teams to have scored 10 or more 200-plus totals in T20Is.
4. Well, this was only the second time Ireland conceded a 200-plus total in the T20I format. Afghanistan made 233 for eight against them during the T20I played in Noida, last year.
5. For India, Wrist-spinner Kuldeep Yadav finished the game with four wickets for just 21 runs. This is now the best bowling figure for a chinaman spinner in T20I format.
Sri Lanka’s Lakshan Sandakan had figures of four for 23 against South Africa, last year.
6. India’s 76-run win in this game is their fourth biggest win in terms of runs in the T20I format.
Their biggest win came against the Islanders in 2017 when they won the contest by 93 runs.