Prithvi Shaw made debut for Team India at the age of 18. But he saw an early setback in the career as he was slapped with a ban of eight months for failing a dope test. He tested positive for terbutaline during the Syed Mushtaq Ali T20 tournament.
“Prithvi Shaw registered with Mumbai Cricket Association, has been suspended for doping violation. Mr. Shaw had inadvertently ingested a prohibited substance, which can be commonly found in cough syrups,” the BCCI said in a statement.
You have to be careful about what you consume: Prithvi Shaw
Prithvi Shaw broke multiple records on his Test debut. He became the youngest player to score a 50-plus score on debut for India. He was also the second youngest to score a Test century for India. But after a rollicking start, Shaw suffered a lateral ligament injury to his left ankle during a tour match, and subsequently missed the first Test against Australia.
His hurdles in international cricket continued after he consumed a cough syrup which had banned substance. He was out of cricketing action from March 16 to November 15 and asked the fellow youngsters to be careful about what they consume.
Shaw also advised them to take approval from the cricket board doctors before consuming the medicine.
“You have to be careful about what you consume. Even a simple drug like paracetamol. This is for all the young cricketers out there who aren’t aware about these things. Even if you take a small medicine, you must get it approved with your doctor or the BCCI doctors. It’s better to ask the doctors about the banned substances and take necessary precautions so that you don’t get into trouble,” Shaw was quoted as saying by the Times of India.
It was a difficult period, torture for me: Prithvi Shaw
Shaw made a remarkable start to his Test career after he was highly recommended by crickets who have watched him closely on the Mumbai circuit. But he feels the time away from cricket was difficult for him and it felt like torture. The youngster also added, situation like this, should not arise in anyone’s life.
“Like in my case, I had a cough syrup which I didn’t know was a banned substance. I have learnt a lesson from this and will not repeat it. Even if I am having a basic medicine, I run that through the BCCI doctors to ensure that there are no banned substances in it. Time away from cricket was a difficult period for me. It was a torture. It should not happen to anyone,” said Prithvi.
Shaw averages 55.83 in the longest format of the game with the high score of 134. He has one century and two half-centuries under his belt.