Rahkeem Cornwall – 150+ KG Antiguan ‘Big Show’ & A Genuine All-Rounder
Rahkeem Cornwall finally made it to the West Indies Test squad for the upcoming India series and looks a likely contender to make his Test debut. A first look of the cricketer will leave an ever-lasting impression on you. He is 6 ft 8 in tall, weighs more than 150 kg and is surely not one of the fittest cricketers. But his exploits with the bat and ball are too heavy to be ignored.
Should West Indies hand him his debut cap, India must be wary of this ‘Antiguan Giant’. Here’s a look at his career and achievements –
1. Cornwall has been in the scheme of things since 2016. If he makes his debut for West Indies, it will be his second encounter with the Indian players. In 2016, when Virat Kohli and co toured West Indies for a four-match Test series, Cornwall was a part of West Indies Cricket Board President’s XI squad. He scored 62 runs and scalped five wickets, including that of Virat Kohli.
2. Cornwall was a part o the West Indies A squad in the recently concluded series against India A. He did not have a good run in the one-day series but in two unofficial Tests that he played, Cornwall scored two half-centuries and also scalped four wickets.
3. He made his debut for the Leeward Islands in December 2014 and is currently the captain of his side in domestic cricket. A genuine all-rounder for his team, Cornwall, in 55 first-class matches, has 2224 runs and 260 wickets.
Cornwall played for St Lucia Stars in Caribbean Premier League 2017. In the upcoming season of the T20 league as well, the all-rounder will be playing for them.
4. On England’s tour of West Indies in 2017, Cornwall played for West Indies Cricket Board President’s XI in a tour match. Batting at number 7, he scored 59 off 61 against Eoin Morgan-led side. The Three Lions chased down a target of234 in the 49th over.
— Mushfiqur Fan (@NaaginDance) July 17, 2019
5. During the India A vs West Indies A series, Deepak Chahar shared a light moment with Cornwall as he tried to block his way, when Cornwall was coming out to bat, before opting to get aside and prevent himself.