Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) has confirmed that the one-year ban on players, Kusal Mendis, Danushka Gunathilaka, And Niroshan Dickwella, has been lifted by the board with immediate effect.
The trio was suspended after they breached the bio-bubble last year during their tour of England in June. Video evidence surfaced following which they were handed a one-year suspension from the game across all formats.
“The latest decision was taken following a request made by the three players to Sri Lanka Cricket to lift the ban imposed on them, pursuant to the conclusion of the LPL 2021. Based on such request, Sri Lanka Cricket obtained a report from the Doctor, appointed by SLC to provide counseling for the 3 players during their period of suspension,” the statement from SLC read.
SLC to monitor their conduct for two years
The ban has been uplifted and the trio will be allowed to play across all formats but the suspension is on a two-year suspension period wherein the board will actively monitor their conduct. If found guilty of misconduct, the board might have to take action.
“Upon consideration of the said report submitted by the Doctor, the Executive Committee of the SLC decided at a meeting held today (January 7) to remove the suspension of the said three players. However, the lifted suspension will remain suspended for a period of two years, during which the three players’ conduct will be closely monitored by the SLC,” the statement further mentioned.
Meanwhile, Gunathilaka announced his retirement from Test cricket. However, he will continue being available to the side in the white-ball formats.