Last Update on: August 17th, 2022 at 03:28 pm
Devon Conway, a New Zealand batsman, admitted he was “a little bit shocked” when asked to open in the recently completed three-match T20I series against the West Indies. He also expressed surprise that he was able to give his squad a strong start in each game.
Together, Conway and veteran opener Martin Guptill were instrumental in the Black Caps’ 2-1 series victory. Conway had scores of 43, 42, and 21 while partnering with Guptill.
The 31-year-old Conway remarked on SENZ Mornings, “I was a little bit shocked when I got assigned to open the innings, so it was a pleasant twist (to score at the top of the innings).”
Conway said his return to international cricket has “been fun.” Conway had not played since New Zealand’s disastrous tour of England in June, during which they lost all three Test matches.
“I am used to playing this position (starting the batting) with Wellington up the order at the top. Being able to go up there with Guppy (Guptill) has been a very great chance for me, so it is been thrilling and fun” said Devon Conway.
‘I’m pretty happy with how things have gone’: Devon Conway
Conway is now anticipating the three-match ODI series against the West Indies, which gets underway later on Wednesday. He hopes to perform well in advance of the ICC T20 World Cup in Australia this October and the ODI World Cup in India the following year.
“I am pleased with how things have turned out. I wish I had been able to contribute more, especially during those games where I started. We still won the series, so as a team, we are all very happy in the camp. I got a couple of 40s and 20s, and it would have been nice to kick on and get a big one.”
Following the ODI series against the West Indies, New Zealand will travel to Australia for a three-match ODI series in September before beginning their World Cup campaign on October 8 against Pakistan.
Also Read: IND vs ZIM: Quite An Important Player: Shikhar Dhawan On Washington Sundar’s Absence From The ODI Series