The fans enjoy their time while catching the action. Credits: Getty Images

Last Update on: June 27th, 2018 at 07:00 pm

According to the largest market research of the International Cricket Council (ICC), the game has a billion fans with more than 90% in the Indian subcontinent.

Thus, it goes to show the popularity of cricket in countries like India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Afghanistan.

As per the survey of the governing body, the average age of the fans is 34 years. The survey age category was 16-69 years. Male fans dominate with 61 per cent, as compared to the female audience of remaining 39 per cent.

The fans enjoy their time while catching the action. Credits: Getty Images

Cricket is yet to get the tag of a Global Sports.

The research survey was done to get the idea to understand the growth of cricket globally.

Thus, the survey is expected to help ICC in the development of the game. Therefore, the governing body can come with better strategies to take the game to the highest level.

Meanwhile, almost 70% of fans went on to show their interest in Tests, with England audience voting the maximum 86%. South African fans showed maximum interest in the 50-overs format with 91%, whereas, Pakistan wants more of T20I form with 98% voting.

Representational Image. (Photo by Hamish Blair/Getty Images)

In fact, the shortest format of the game was able to bag the maximum interest with 92% globally. Meanwhile, the One-Day version is hot on the heels of T20 form with 88% interest.

“It is the first global market research project ever undertaken in the sport and having more than one billion fans in the surveyed age category of 16-69 alone, with an average age of 34, is undoubtedly an exciting and strong position from which we can drive the sport forward,” ICC Chief Executive David Richardson said, adding “90 percent fans” comes come from the Indian sub-continent alone.

Meanwhile, according to ICC research, 87% of fans want T20 cricket to be an Olympic Sport. In fact, the fans showed more interest in the ICC events. 95% of fans showed their interest in the ICC World Cup and ICC World T20I.

Gautam Chauhan

Cricket is my first love. I want to be a wordsmith. I want to weave magic with my words.