Veteran spinner Harbhajan Singh has clarified whether he would play in the next edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL). The World Cup-winning spinner’s participation in next year’s IPL was in doubt after he registered his name in the players draft for The Hundred. Ever since the IPL started, the BCCI has not allowed the active Indian players to play in overseas T20 leagues.
Recently, Yuvraj Singh and Manpreet Singh Gony had to announce their retirement from all forms of cricket before obtaining the no objection certificate to play in Global T20 Canada. Earlier this year, veteran allrounder Irfan Pathan had also registered his name in the Caribbean Premier League draft but could not get the permission since he is an active player in domestic cricket.
Thus there were a lot of speculations that Harbhajan Singh might retire in order to play in The Hundred. However, he has now decided against playing in The Hundred and would thus continue playing in the league. The Punjab stalwart, on Friday, confirmed that he will play in the next edition of the IPL and will thus withdraw his name from the players’ draft of The Hundred.
“For me, Indian Premier League and Chennai Super Kings remain priorities. I have had two good seasons with CSK where we played two finals. So right now, a good third season is what I am looking at,” Harbhajan Singh told PTI.
He also clarified that he would never flout any BCCI order as he confirmed he would withdraw his name. Harbhajan Singh also said that the format of The Hundred excites him.
“I respect rules laid down by my parent body. I will never flout any BCCI rule. If that means withdrawing my name from the draft, so be it. I will withdraw my name.” I dont want to break any rules but I find the concept interesting. As and when, the rules allow me to play, I would definitely like to be a part of it,” said the legendary spinner.