Kings XI Punjab ended Sunrisers Hyderabad’s unbeaten run in the league with a 15-run win on Thursday. Chris Gayle was the star of the show, scoring an unbeaten 104 to guide his team to a huge 193 for 3. In reply, Kane Williamson and Manish Pandey scored fifties but the visitors could only manage 178 for 4.
With the game now done and dusted, here is a look at some interesting stats and numbers:
1. The win was Kings XI Punjab’s first win in Mohali against the Hyderabad-based outfit in IPL. This was also their first win over the Men in Orange since 2015, a win that started a run of sic consecutive losses.
2. The Ravichandran Ashwin-led side is the first team this season to bat first after winning the toss. In the previous 15 games, all the captains elected to bowl on winning the toss.
3. Kane Williamson suffered his first defeat as captain in the IPL after three wins in his first three matches. Only MS Dhoni and George Bailey won their first four IPL matches as captains.
4. Chris Gayle hit 11 sixes during his stunning knock. It was the first instance of a Kings XI Punjab player hitting ten sixes in an IPL inning. Adam Gilchrist, Glenn Maxwell and David Miller hit nine sixes each in an innings for the team.
5. Chris Gayle has now scored 6 centuries in IPL, 2 more than second-placed Virat Kohli. Overall, he has taken his tally of T20 hundreds to a staggering 21, far ahead than the next most on the list Michael Klinger (7), Luke Wright (7) and Brendon McCullum (7).
6. Ashwin conceded 53 runs during the game. It was the first time, the off-spinner conceded 50 and more runs in a T20 game. His previous worst figures was when he conceded 48 in the T20I against Zimbabwe in 2010.
7. Rashid Khan also endured a tough day at the office as he ended the game with his worst figures in T20. The Afghan star conceded 55 which was the first time he conceded 50 runs in an IPL game.