Delhi Daredevils got back to winning with an emphatic win over two-time IPL champions Kolkata Knight Riders. With a new captain at the helm, the Daredevils started the proceedings brightly. Captain Shreyas Iyer led from the front, scoring an unbeaten 93 off just 40 balls to guide his team to a huge 219 for 4. Opening batsman Prithvi Shaw also made a major contribution, scoring 62. In reply, Knight Riders never looked in contention and were eventually restricted to 164 for 9.
With the game now done and dusted, here is a look at some interesting numbers and stats:
1. Prithvi Shaw’s fifty made him the joint youngest to score a fifty in the IPL. He scored his maiden fifty at the age of 18 years and 169 days. Sanju Samson had also scored a fifty at the same age in 2013 while playing for Rajasthan Royals against Royal Challengers Bangalore.
2. Iyer hit 10 sixes during his blistering knock. It made him the first captain in the history of IPL to hit 10 sixes in an IPL inning. Adam Gilchrist hit nine sixes against Royal Challengers in 2011. Iyer also became the first Delhi Daredevils player to hit ten sixes in an IPL inning. Kevin Pietersen in 2012 and Rishabh Pant in 2017 hit nine sixes in an innings.
3. Iyer became the 11th player to captain Delhi Daredevils in the IPL. He is the youngest of the lot and the fourth youngest captain in the IPL. He also became only the second Daredevils skipper after Virender Sehwag to win his first game as skipper.
4. The match was the 22nd meeting between between Daredevils and Knight Riders but the first without Gautam Gambhir in the playing XI of either side.
5. Iyer’s unbeaten 93 is the highest individual score for any player on his IPL captaincy debut. Aaron Finch’s 64 for Pune Warriors against Kings XI Punjab in 2013 was the previous highest.
6. Before being dropped for the game, Gambhir had played 122 consecutive games in the IPL. He had led his team in all those 122 games. No other player captained in as many as 122 straight IPL matches for the teams they played.
7. Daredevils’ total of 219/4 is their second highest total in the IPL after the 231/4 they scored against Kings XI Punjab in 2011.