IPL Could Be Postponed Amidst Coronavirus Outbreak, Says Maharashtra Health Minister
Published - 08 Mar 2020, 12:03 PM | Updated - 23 Aug 2024, 12:04 AM

The Indian Premier League (IPL) is just three weeks away but the coronavirus outbreak is threatening to play spoilsport. The much-awaited season of the cash-rich league starts on March 29 at Mumbai’s Wankhede Stadium. Reigning champions Mumbai Indians will lock horns against Chennai Super Kings in the tournament-opener.
But while the IPL looks set to start on the scheduled time right now, things could become complicated in the coming days. Recently, BCCI president Sourav Ganguly said that the league would take place as scheduled with some precautions. But the way things have turned out in the last few days, anything could happen.

In the last couple of weeks, more than two dozens cases of coronavirus has been detected in the country. And amidst all these, Maharashtra Health Minister Rajesh Tope has said that IPL can be held on a later date in view of the spread of the coronavirus around the country.
“There is always a possible danger of spread (of contagious diseases) when large numbers of people gather in one place… Such (IPL) events can always be organised later,” Tope told journalists.
He also said that discussions are currently on in official circles whether to postpone the IPL, and a decision would be taken and announced shortly. So far, the outbreak has not impacted cricket much. While the teams have been taking precautions, no international game has been called off or affected.
South Africa recently confirmed that they would tour India for the three-match ODI series later this month. On the other hand, England have also reached Sri Lanka for the two-match Test series and their players have decided against shaking hands with each other.
Also Read: IPL 2020: Andy Flower Named Kings XI Punjab Assistant Coach
Also Read: 75,000 Tickets Sold Out For India vs Australia Women’s Final
Tagged:
Indian Premier League (IPL)