Australian cricketers Adam Zampa and Kane Richardson have felt the brunt of their country’s government deciding to ban all flights from India till at least the 15th of May. On Tuesday, the Australian government suspended all the flights coming from India to their country till the 15th of May. As a result, Adam Zampa and Richardson are presently stuck in Mumbai after choosing to leave the nation over the rising COVID-19 threat.
The alarming rise of COVID-19 cases has left every individual residing in India shuddering. The second wave of the outbreak has seen the country register over 300000 instances every day for the many previous days, with the deaths multiplying simultaneously as well. The infectious disease has forced several state governments to resort to applying lockdown. Furthermore, Australia Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced that players choosing to return to Australia have to manage to come on their own instead of relying on chartered flights.
As per a report from Cricbuzz, Adam Zampa and Kane Richardson left the RCB bio-bubble on the 25th of April (Sunday) and moved to a hotel close to the Mumbai airport. Nevertheless, with the Australian government suspending all the direct flights from India to there, the pair may have to wait before returning home. Zampa could not play a game in IPL 2021, while Richardson got one match. Andrew Tye, who also left the Rajasthan Royals’ bubble earlier, remains unclear whether he made it to Australia.
We are trying to see if the government does give us the go ahead to Adam Zampa and Kane Richardson back: Cricket Australia
Cricket Australia underlined that they are in touch with the government authorities to make an exceptional case to bring the duo back in the country. If it does not work out, they will coordinate with the ACA and BCCI to ensure their safety. With direct flights being the one suspended, Zampa and Richardson could fly to Doha from Mumbai and board a plane to Australia. Cricket Australia further stated that they would continue to liaise with the government and supervise the situation between now and the tournament’s scheduled conclusion on the 30th of May.
“We are trying to see if the government does give us the go ahead to bring the players back. If we get the nod, it’s all pretty straightforward. But if not, we’ll be working with the ACA and BCCI to make sure they’re in a secure environment. We will continue to liaise closely with the Australian Government following today’s announcement that direct flights from India to Australia will be paused until May 15, and monitor the situation between now and the tournament’s scheduled conclusion on May 30,” the CA statement said as quoted by Times Now.