Chennai Super Kings opener Ruturaj Gaikwad’s monumental knock helped MS Dhoni’s side defeat rivals Mumbai Indians in what fans call the El Clásico of the IPL.
Gaikwad smashed 88 off 58 balls, his innings was studded with nine fours and four sixes, as CSK posted a total of 156/6 at the end of their innings.
CSK bowlers under MS Dhoni’s astute leadership easily defended the total as Mumbai Indians were left at 136/8.
CSK beat MI by 20 runs and moves at top of the points table
Deepak Chahar removed the openers inside the powerplay followed by Shardul Thakur getting the most important wicket of Suryakumar Yadav to reduce MI at 41/3 after six overs.
Mumbai Indians stand-in skipper Kieron Pollard and left-handed batsman tried to bring the team close to the chase. But when CSK pacer Josh Hazlewood trapped Pollard before the wicket, the game was written off for the five-time IPL champions.
With the 20-run win against Mumbai Indians, MS Dhoni’s side toppled Delhi Capitals on the points table to sit on the top with 12 points from eight matches.
Let us take you through the statistics section in the match.
IPL 2021: CSK vs MI statistical review
- CSK is the second team in IPL a team batting first went on to win after losing their first four wickets for 24 or fewer runs. The only other team was SRH (17/4) against PWI in Pune in 2013 (won by 11 runs).
- This is the second instance of MI losing while chasing a target below 160 since the start of 2014. The other defeat came against SRH chasing 119 at Wankhede in 2018.
- Mumbai Indians pacer Jasprit Bumrah completed 100 IPL matches and he is only the fifth player to have played all of his matches for only one IPL franchise.
199 – Virat Kohli (RCB)
171 – Kieron Pollard (MI)
124 – Sunil Narine (KKR)
122 – Lasith Malinga (MI)
100*- Jasprit Bumrah (MI)
- CSK have won each of the six matches where Ruturaj Gaikwad scored more than 50 runs.
- Ruturaj Gaikwad’s unbeaten 88 is the highest score for a CSK player against Mumbai Indians. Gaikwad went past Australia’s Michael Hussey, who held the highest score of 86* against MI in 2013 when they defended 192.
- The last time CSK defended a total against Mumbai Indians in the IPL was in 2013 in the first Qualifier match in Delhi.
- Mumbai Indians fast bowlers took exactly two wickets in 33 PowerPlay overs in the India leg of this season. Today, Adam Milne and Trent Boult took 2 for 11 each from their three-over spells to leave CSK reeling at 24 for 4 at the end of six overs.
- For the 10th time in his IPL career, after dismissing Faf du Plessis, Boult took a wicket in the first over.
- Dwayne Bravo picked three wickets which makes him go ahead of Piyush Chawla as the West Indies all-rounder takes his tally to 159 IPL wickets. The leg-spinner has 156 wickets in his bag and Bravo is only behind Amit Mishra (166) and Lasith Malinga (170).
- Last year on September 19 2020, CSK defeated MI by five wickets in the first match of IPL 2020. A year later CSK once again beat their nemesis in the first games of the rescheduled IPL 2021.