The visitors India have earned a strong position over the hosts Australia at the end of the second day of the opening game of the four-match Test series at Adelaide Oval (Adelaide).
Starting the day on the overnight score 233/6, the visitors were all out for 244 runs. In reply, the hosts only managed to score 191 runs before getting all out. At the stumps of the day, the visitors managed to score 9/1 and they are leading this day/night pink-ball Test match by 62 runs.
Brief Scores: India – 244 (Virat Kohli 74, Cheteshwar Pujara 43; Mitchell Starc 4/53) & 9/1 (Mayank Agarwal 5*, Prithvi Shaw 4; Pat Cummins 1/6)
Australia – 191 (Tim Paine 73*, Marnus Labuschagne 47; Ravichandran Ashwin 4/55)
Latest Status (at the stumps of day 2) – India are leading by 62 runs
Australia vs India, 1st Test (Day 2): Stats Review
India – 3rd highest 1st innings total against Aussies in the day/night pink-ball Test match
i) The visitors India were all-out for 244 runs in the first innings of this match. It was the third highest 1st innings total for any team against Australia in the day/night pink-ball Test match. The top two first innings totals in this list are 302 by Pakistan (at Adelaide in November-December 2019) and 259/9 decl. by South Africa (at Adelaide in November 2016).
Australia – both the openers were dismissed for single-digit scores
i) Both the Aussie openers (Matthew Wade 8 and Joe Burns 8) failed to manage the double-digit scores during their first innings of this match.
- Before this match, last time both the Aussie openers were dismissed in the single-digit scores in the same home Test innings in November 2016 during the first innings of the Hobart Test against South Africa (David Warner 1 and Joe Burns 1).
- Meanwhile, previously, the Indian bowlers managed to dismissed both the Aussie openers for the single-digit scores in the same Test innings in Australia in December 2011 during the third innings of the Melbourne Test (David Warner 5 and Ed Cowan 8).
- It was the only 7th time when the Indian bowlers managed to dismiss both the Aussie openers for the single-digit scores in the same Test innings in Australia.
– 2nd lowest completed total in a day/night Test innings
ii) Australia were bundled out for just 191 runs. It was their second lowest completed total in an innings of the day/night Test. Their lowest record in this list is 138 against England at Adelaide in December 2017.
Ravichandran Ashwin – 2nd best bowling figures in day/night pink-ball Test match in Australia
i) During Australia’s first innings, the off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin had the bowling figures of 18-3-55-4. It was the second best bowling figures in an innings of the day/night pink-ball Test match in Australia. The record is 25-7-69-5 by Australian off-spinner Nathan Lyon at Adelaide in November-December 2019.
Tim Paine – 73 not out
i) Australian captain and wicket-keeper batsman Tim Paine scored 73 not out.
- It was the second highest individual score in a Test innings for an Aussie wicket-keeper batsman against India at home. The record in this list is 78 by Adam Gilchrist at Melbourne in December 1999.
- It was the third highest individual score in a Test innings for a captain-cum-wicket-keeper batsman against India. The top two records in this list are 127 by Bangladesh cricketer Mushfiqur Rahim (at Hyderabad, Deccan in February 2017) and 104 by Aussie cricketer Adam Gilchrist (at Bengaluru in October 2004).