David Warner fined $1,500, avoids jail time after drink-driving conviction

Published - 18 Aug 2026, 01:44 PM | Updated - 18 Aug 2026, 01:47 PM

David Warner PSL
PC: X

The former Australia National Cricket Team batter David Warner was convicted in a drink-and-drive case on Easter Sunday (April 5, 2026) in Maroubra after recording a blood-alcohol reading of 0.104, which was more than double the legal limit. He was stopped in the middle of the road while he was returning to his home. Now he has been fined after admitting guilt.

Warner has retired from international cricket and ended his 15-year international career in June 2024 following Australia's exit from the T20 World Cup. He eventually called upon his Test career in January 2024, in the Test series against Pakistan. However, he continues to play in franchise leagues around the world. The drink-and-drive incident happened in the middle of the PSL 2026.

David Warner fined $1,500, escapes jail time in drink-driving case

The former Australia captain has been fined $1500 for a subtle drink-driving case after he tried to change seats with a passenger while they were near a random breath-testing site on Easter Sunday back in April, while he was driving back home to drop his family off after consuming three glasses of wine.

He was back at home for the Easter celebration during the Pakistan Super League (PSL) 2026 break; he rejoined the franchise, Karachi Kings, after the controversy. Now, months later, he has been found guilty, though he has been saved from going to jail and was just fined, as previously there were reports that he could end up in jail.

David Warner's lawyer slams media

David Warner’s lawyer, Awais Ahmad, said in Waverley Local Court that his client’s matter was covered by global media outlets such as ESPN, Al Jazeera, and The Indian Express. He also questioned the decision of NSW Police to issue a press release about Warner’s arrest given the minor offence his client made.

“The consequences of his offending are profound,” Ahmad said. “Commercial opportunities (are) being affected.” “There has been savage media reporting,” the lawyer said.

The offence was made worse because his children were in the car at the time, Judge Clare Farnan said.

Cricket NSW, which owns and manages the operations of Sydney Thunder, admits the sentence in David Warner’s case and said it was a “strong advocate of safe driving.”

“We continue to take this incident seriously, including educating all players on the importance of safe driving,” a spokesperson said.

Judge Clare Farnan believed that the Warners were targeted much more than the majority of the incident; however, she accepts that fact that Warner was guilty and she also regrets that there have been many drink-and-drive incidents which have resulted in many crashes in NSW.

“I accept Mr Warner is unlikely to reoffend,” she said. “(But) regrettably, drink-driving is still a significant factor in many crashes in NSW.”

David Warner's other controversy

Apart from this drinking case, Warner has been involved in many other controversies. Previously, he was involved in the sandpaper gate controversy back in 2018 in South Africa, which led to his ban from cricket for nearly one year.

Warner was found guilty in Australia's infamous Cape Town ball-tampering scandal. Cricket Australia suspended him for one year, removed him from his vice-captaincy and imposed a lifetime leadership ban. He, along with Steve Smith, who was then the captain of the side, was also banned.

Author CricketAddictor
Author CricketAddictor

I (Anirban Bose) am a creative Social Media Manager and Sports Journalist with hands-on experience i...

logo
Stay Updated with the Latest Cricket News from Cricket Addictor.

You will receive the latest updates on cricket news throughout the day. You can manage them whenever you need in browser settings.