David Saker, Australia’s bowling coach at the time of the infamous ball-tampering scandal, has denied any prior knowledge about the plan to use sandpaper by discarded opener Cameron Bancroft.
The Newlands ball-tampering scandal came into the limelight a few weeks ago when Cameron Bancroft, during an interview with the UK-based ‘Daily Guardian’, revealed that the bowlers knew about the plot.
David Saker, who was appointed as Melbourne Renegades coach on Thursday, urged Cricket Australia to make its investigation public to clear some of the queries re-ignited around the incident.
“That would be up to CA. I can’t see any point why it wouldn’t be released, but that’s, yeah that’s up to them the way they want to handle that. Because these questions keep coming up, maybe if it’s released, then maybe questions might stop but I don’t think they will and the questions will keep getting asked,” said David Saker as quoted by Sydney Morning Herald.
David Saker said that he had no idea about the fact that Cameron Bancroft was going to apply sandpaper on the ball during the Cape Town Test against South Africa.
Recently, the Australian bowling attack that was involved during the infamous scandal, released a statement where they made it clear that they had no prior knowledge about the ploy.
“Well, there’s no doubt I had no idea there was any sandpaper involved. As far as we knew that we were using normal tactics to get the ball reverse-swinging so that’s as far as I know. I heard the comments and the Iain Roy thing, we’ve said what we have to say and that’s where I’d leave it.” said David Saker.
David Saker further added that he has made peace with the fact that the ball-tampering scandal will never go away and that uncomfortable questions will still be asked around it.
“I’m not sure it’s going to get anywhere, I think everyone’s told what they’ve told, they’ve had inquiries about it. We’ve all gone in and did our bit so I can’t see it going any further, but the questions will keep coming. There’s no doubt about that, but that’s just a part of life, you got to deal with that but it’s never going to go away, that’s for sure.” he admitted.
Meanwhile, last month Cricket Australia CEO Nick Hockley, made it clear that the investigation report will not be released in the public domain.