Wasim Akram. Photo- Twitter
Wasim Akram. Photo- Getty

Pakistan’s legendary bowling icon Wasim Akram expressed his disappointment on New Zealand’ cricket team abandoning the Pakistan tour.

New Zealand were supposed to play Pakistan in three ODI matches and five T20 Internationals but on the ODI matchday on September 17, hours before the toss could take place, the Blackcaps pulled out of the entire white-ball series.

Babar Azam and Tom Latham. Photo- ESPNCricinfo
Babar Azam and Tom Latham. Photo- ESPNCricinfo

Cricket is more than a sport to us: Wasim Akram

New Zealand’s decision left the players and fans disappointed as they were expecting cricket action in the country after a long time. White thanked their counterpart Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) for taking care of the New Zealand cricket team.

Former Pakistan player Wasim Akram asserted that the world underestimates Pakistan’s security forces and said that Cricket means more than a sport to them.

wasim akram
Wasim Akram[photo: Twitter]

“I think the world underestimates how powerful our security forces are. Cricket is more than a sport to us and we will do everything in our power to prevent cricket being taken from us again. The world needs to give us a chance to prove that!” Akram tweeted.

Earlier senior Pakistan all-rounder Mohammad Hafeez took a jibe at the New Zealand cricket team after it reached the airport.

Hafeez took to his Twitter handle to thank Pakistan’s security forces for helping the Blackcaps reach the airport safely.

“Thanks to the security of Pakistan forces to make arrangements to @BLACKCAPS to reach at airport Safe & Sound. Wonder same route & same security but no threat today???” Hafeez tweeted.

We had several conversations with New Zealand government officials before making the decision: New Zealand Cricket

Earlier on Sunday, New Zealand Cricket chief executive David White said that the board was in constant touch with their government officials and only when they were advised about a credible threat, they decided to leave Pakistan.

“What I can say is that we were advised this was a specific and credible threat against the team. We had several conversations with New Zealand government officials before making the decision and it was after informing the PCB of our position that we understand a telephone discussion was conducted between the respective Prime Ministers,” White issued an official statement. 

According to some reports, the New Zealand cricket team arrived in Dubai on Sunday and will go under a 24-hour quarantine period before most of them depart back home.

Also Read: Threats Issued By Intelligence Alliance ‘Five Eyes’ Prompted New Zealand To Cancel Pakistan Tour: Reports