Can't Say Anything: Sourav Ganguly On Fate Of IPL 2020 As He Hints At Cancellation Of Tournament
Published - 24 Mar 2020, 07:29 PM | Updated - 23 Aug 2024, 12:04 AM

BCCI president Sourav Ganguly on Tuesday said he “doesn’t have an answer” on the fate of this year’s Indian Premier League (IPL) amid a nationwide lockdown to combat the COVID-19 pandemic. The league was scheduled to start on March 29. But in the wake of the outbreak, the BCCI had postponed the league at least till April 15.
Since then, the situation has only worsened. As thing stand, there are more than 500 cases in the country and the chances of IPL starting any time soon look absolutely bleak. And Sourav Ganguly’s statement on the fate of the tournament has made it more or less clear that any chances of starting IPL 2020 is all but over.
Amid the ongoing complete lockdown, it is becoming increasingly difficult for all the stakeholders to work out an alternate plan. He also hinted that hosting the competition three-four months later is not an option at all because of the existing FTP.
“I can’t say anything at the moment. We are at the same place where we were on the day we postponed. Nothing has changed in the last 10 days. So, I don’t have an answer to it. Status quo remains,” Sourav Ganguly told PTI.
“You can’t plan anything. The FTP is scheduled. It’s there and you can’t change the FTP. All around the world, cricket and more so sports has stopped,” he added.

Sourav Ganguly further expressed his doubts on whether the current situation can be covered by insurance to make up for the losses that all stakeholders will suffer.
“I am not sure whether you can get insurance money. Because this is a government lockdown. I am not sure whether a government lockdown is covered by insurance or not.
“We will have to see. We have not assessed all these things. At this point of time, it is very difficult for me to give any concrete answer,” said the legendary cricketer.
But despite all the unfortunate situation that has brought cricket to a standstill, Sourav Ganguly welcomed the complete lockdown and expressed hope that the move will help flatten the curve eventually.
“I think this is the best option at the current moment. Certain things are beyond anybody’s control. Whatever directives that the government and ministry of health gives us, we have to follow. That’s the case all over the world.”